Secret Agent Cinder

by Emily Ryan

Espionage

Play as a revolutionary agent Cinder. Your mission is to infiltrate the Royal Ball, dodge the guards and steal the Secret Military Plans, all before midnight.
The opulence of Versailles disgusts you as you walk through the gilded rooms. Then there is the prince who keeps getting in your way.

First Publication Date: June 5, 2015
TUID: s9nuslkgsb436b1q

Winner, Best Use of Multimedia - 2015 XYZZY Awards

A neat reimagining, September 12, 2015
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
Secret Agent Cinder recasts the classic heroine as a spy infiltrating the ball in a stealth mission. Accompanying are nicely drawn comics that take the place of elaborate descriptions. Some text is provided, but is spare and utilitarian. This game has a lot of neat tricks and does more with the images to supply necessary information than normal illustrated stories do. The map and occasional orientation can be a tad confusing, but otherwise this is a unique and novel Twine with loads of personality that would have been a great IFComp entry.

Like an interactive web-comic. A short French Revolution Cinderella game., February 3, 2016
This short choice game has lavish and beautiful drawings for each room/scenario, but the navigation system is classic CYOA style, plus a compass rose.

The story is a version of Cinderella as a secret spy. Cinderella is an action-hungry operative who clashes with the advice of the more level-headed Godmother, providing for some of the best moments in the game.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It felt like an interactive webcomic. Because classic comic strips were some of my favorite reading material as a kid, I enjoy the idea of interactive web-comic as a form of IF, and would like to see more of this in the future.

Fun short spy story, December 17, 2016
Quality writing and beautiful illustrations make this choice-based work a delight. Cinderella is reimagined as a secret agent, infiltrating the palace to steal military plans for the resistance.

The opening involves a short sequence where you choose your mission gear; play with obvious bad choices to see humorous responses from your handler, code named "Godmother".

This work is short but sets up a few fun replays, with a story-specific scoring system ranking you on stealth, revolutionary zeal, and a violence bonus. While I've found I can score higher or lower stealth stars, I don't know if I can actually change the outcome of the game, which seems designed to provide a humorous setup to the rest of the Cinderella story. A very fun little adventure.

If you enjoyed Secret Agent Cinder...

People who like Secret Agent Cinder also gave high ratings to these games:

Kerkerkruip, by Victor Gijsbers
Kerkerkruip is a short-form roguelike in the interactive fiction medium, featuring meaningful tactical and strategic depth, innovative game play, zero grinding, and a sword & sorcery setting that does not rehash tired clichés.

Kaged, by Ian Finley
""But my madness speaks: It will but skin and film the ulcerous place, Whilst rank corruption, mining all within, Infects unseen." Welcome to the Citadel of Justice. The Inquisitor is waiting." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Cheesed Off!, by Hulk Handsome
An entry in the First Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction. This is a punny game where you solve puzzles with cheese. Mr. Veeder said the following about it: "Doesn't have much going on, but it made me laugh"...

Secret Agent Cinder appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Twine SFX 2015 by verityvirtue
Twines released in 2015 which use interesting effects (which I, er, want to use as well. Yes.). Suggestions welcome.

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

Best of 2015 (pre-IF Comp) by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that have been released this year so far. I'm sure I've missed some good ones. I'm also including some I haven't yet played. PLEASE comment if you think any other games belong on this list.

The following polls include votes for Secret Agent Cinder:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible PCs of 2015 by verityvirtue
This is for suggesting player characters from games released 2015 who you think might be worth considering for Best PC/Best Individual PC in the XYZZY awards. Leave the name (or namelessness) of the PC (or PCs) in the comment on your...

Games / stories with an eighteenth-century setting by chux
That is, I'm specifically interested in a European / Western version of the 18th-C.: Age of Enlightenment; Great Awakening / Puritanism; Colonial and Revolutionary USA; Louis XIV to French Revolution; hoop petticoats, justacorps, and...

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible multimedia uses of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Multimedia in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 4 May 2016 at 11:06pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item