a kiss

by Dan Waber

Slice of life

Prose, poetry, recipes, and memoir all spring forth from and return to the single and singular moment of a kiss. A torus-shaped tale told in a thousand and one passages. A novel-length hypertext first published in Drunken Boat 17.

First Publication Date: July 15, 2013
TUID: rt4e8vy4fa17uo5u

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
It’s so hard to express all the little things that make up our lives. How often do we lack the language for it, having being taught to speak in common with others, but not to name our own insides? That Dan Waber was able to describe all these splintered memories in such abundance is a feat, and most of all, a hell of a love letter.

Expansive and exquisite experience of "a kiss", April 4, 2014
How can we possibly capture a moment in all its nuances?

"a kiss" gives it the best shot I've come across—we zoom in and out of the kiss, flash back and forward to just before and just after the kiss, and dip into hundreds of details that bring what this brief moment to vibrant life. As an example, delving into left or right of the kiss lets you explore the setting—and the many stories that make up the objects nearby, like the sunscreen, the sugar bowl lid, the fourth cat.

You don't quite read or play "a kiss", you experience it, and it's an incredibly intimate and immersive experience, rendered in poetic, masterful language. It's an expansive web of moments and exquisite detail, rendering what feels like a lifetime in this kiss.

I loved it.

If you enjoyed a kiss...

People who like a kiss also gave high ratings to these games:

The Periwink, by Jedediah Berry
It's your last day as her ladyship's groundskeeper—but you still have a little work left to do. A Petite Mort entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

Moon-Shaped, by Jason Ermer

Hana Feels, by Gavin Inglis
Something is bothering Hana. Can you work out what it is? Take the part of four important people in her life and guide their conversations. After each scene, peek at Hana's journal and find out how she felt about the things you said.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by danwaber on 26 November 2013 at 9:11am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item