Feelies
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Body Bargain

by Amanda Lange

2012

Your surgery went very well. But you couldn't really afford it...

Be aware that this is a work of horror.

This game involves situations that may be violent, distressing, disturbing, or triggering.

This game may involve positive interactions with a violent sociopath. The game may involve elements of coercion and powerlessness. The game is not sexually explicit but does involve some adult language and potentially dark imagery.

The tone this work will take about grim situations is fairly clinical. If any of these things sound like they will upset you, I would advise you not to play.

To the rest of you: enjoy!

Language: English (en-US)
First Publication Date: September 30, 2012
IFID: D1F318E8-5459-4F8F-ABC0-4DB3E823BCC0
TUID: pzq8hv3aq3yplc9x

8th Place - 18th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2012)

Second Truth Blog
IF Comp 2012 Post Mortem
I didn't enter the comp to win. In fact, since I created a slasher-horror game, I was absolutely certain that it wouldn't win.

A Smart Scare for an Evening in, March 17, 2013
by Danielle (The Wild West)
Last night I picked this game at random from the IFComp2012 folder hanging out on my laptop. And lucky me--I stumbled onto a gem!

BODY BARGAIN, while informed by Lange's musings on (Spoiler - click to show)plastic surgery and body modification, isn't a game weighed down by these topics. Approach this piece like you would, say, an episode of MONSTERS, or a particularly wild TALES FROM THE CRYPT comic, and I think you'll see what I mean.

The game's scenario is set in a sci-fi world, that scenario is tinged with horror (the kind of horror depends on how you play--(Spoiler - click to show)some decisions lead you towards a slasher-style story, other decisions a quieter, more disturbing tale).

Applause to Lange for her great handling of this game's atmosphere. BODY's tone is well-executed in both setting and its star NPC, Dr. Overclock (Could that name get any cooler? No.). Previous IF horror works (like DIVIS MORTIS) sometimes trip themselves up by inserting goofy jokes that detract from apocalyptic settings, but all the off-kilter stuff you find in BODY fits with the world of the story.

I was obedient during my first playthrough, unsure of where the scenario was heading. Upon replaying, I was delighted to find that a variety of decisions and scenarios had been implemented, dramatically changing the outcome of the story. Kudos to the author!

As one-off comics, TALES FROM THE CRYPT never gave you any more info than needed to get the scare across. What's really fun about BODY is how the extras fill in more backstory. Curious about Overclock? There's something there for you!

Regarding the content: (Spoiler - click to show)I don't go in for gore and splatter. (Did I read the author warning? Heck no! I just jumped in and played!) But the nice thing I find about reading horror (versus watching it) is that, in text, my inner director can adjust the gore level as needed. Sowas it squirm-inducing? Yes. But was it overkill? Nope. The author's choice to use clinical language for these bits was pitch perfect, in my opinion.

In short: a short game, smartly done--if you're the right audience for it!

A metaphorical game about body image and extreme surgery, February 3, 2016
In this horror game, you play a woman who recently underwent radical surgery to improve their body image. In order to pay for the surgery, you must assist the doctor in other radical surgeries.

This game has a high amount of gore, and deals indirectly with issues such as anorexia and cutting.

There are multiple endings and you are essentially free to act as you wish in the game. You are given instructions throughout the game, and following them gives you the easiest ending.

Overall, it was a bit too gruesome for my tastes, but the writing was good. There were a few implementation errors, such as messages persisting after you left a room or two rules printing contradictory text at the same time.

perfect body horror, February 26, 2015
This game made me sick and i loved it. Had to play through several times to explore the clinic in its entirety. This game is not for the weak of heart

If you enjoyed Body Bargain...