curves.z8

2000

IFID: ZCODE-9-010613-FCC6
TUID: ov7wpv4l1fth1tro

Brass Lantern
"This game is... frustrating. There are technical innovations but none of them really extraordinary. There are technical flaws but none of them really terrible. There's a story but it has no teeth. There's a fully formed world but it has no memorable distinctiveness of its own. It's just an average and rather... forgettable game." (Aris Katsaris)

"The plot makes sense, the coding is solid, and the puzzles are generally very good. The plot structure is also very loose and non-linear, but I have mixed feelings about this. At times it works really well: the plot thickens and progresses smoothly and naturally each time you find a new lead, allowing you to investigate new areas without the game having to force you. The flip side is that sometimes you just end up collecting clues for points, rather than uncovering new information. For me, this was particularly obvious towards the end, where I had essentially solved the mystery but couldn't collar the culprit until I'd picked up the remaining few bits of evidence." (Iain Merrick)

IF-Review
Everyone's Got An Angle
"The prose burns with the wry humour and extravagant similes that fans have come to expect from hard-boiled fiction. The game is true to its stylistic roots, but thankfully, it doesn't take itself too seriously." (Brett Witty)

"Honestly, how many other IF-towns have you been to recently that had functioning offices, police stations, newsrooms, libraries, service stations, hospitals, bars, pawnshops, apartments, cars, restaurants, banks, etc. Of course, it's all under the illusion of man-behind-the-curtain 'functioning', but that's the point. There's even good IF-style humor lurking behind many of the stock answers that grease the wheels behind each the scenes of the functioning world-spaces [...]" (David Myers)

Interactive Fiction's answer to "Chinatown", November 23, 2013
The puzzle mechanics can be frustrating; the solutions make sense but could use subtle hinting. As it was, I had to refer to hints often for certain segments, and wasn't quite sure what my deadline was. Play this game, enjoy it, and don't feel bad when you check a hints file occasionally. The strength of the story and the solutions you do figure out will be rewarding enough.

For a game that impressively recreates the passage of time and days (you can even attend an evening mass one night at the Catholic church!), it didn't give me a real sense of timing. I wasn't sure how much time I had before the trial, or how to manage my time.

I had to get my complaints off my chest first, so I could tell you how I really feel, with any sense of frustration mollified. This game is incredible. The writing, the characters, and the world come to life as you read.

It was engrossing, and I appreciated the hard difficulty--it kept me hooked to the game for much longer than if the puzzles were more obvious. Yes, it could have benefited from some subtle cluing in parts, but on the whole this is a really strong game with an impressive implementation.

The plot is deep and layered. It was difficult to know where to go at times, but this wasn't a real concern, as it lead to further exploration, conversations, and experimentation in the world.

I don't know if Irene Callaci is a pseudonym, but was hoping to find much, much more by her. It is a shame that the author isn't more prolific, as she has managed to create such a compelling and real simulation of a city, rich in detail and story. I would love to see collaboration between her and some of the more technical programmers for future mysteries.

A larger technically brilliant detective game with clever hint system, February 8, 2016
This game can be overwhelming at first, with a large map (including a building with almost 300 rooms), an extensive time span (measured in days and hours), and a lack of strong direction. However, approached correctly, this is an enjoyable detective game.

You are paid to exonerate Jessica Kincaid from the charge of running over her husband. You take to the streets, examining items, talking to people, and generally investigating.

There are only about 4 or 5 things you have to do, and each of them are in obvious locations. However, it's hard to know what actions to take. Going to the movie theatre gives you a hint without telling you how to do it.

Even thrn, some things are hard. I thought the way to deal with the cop was disingeneous.

Overall, a solid game, and one of the better mystery games.

Note that part of the game takes place in a strip club.

If you enjoyed Dangerous Curves...

People who like Dangerous Curves also gave high ratings to these games:

Fingertips: I Found a New Friend, by Adri
You've had a long day. All you want to do is climb into bed. But why is your pillow quivering like that? Written for the Apollo 18+20 tribute album project, and loosely inspired by the They Might Be Giants track of the same name.

Detectiveland, by Robin Johnson
New Losago, 1929 - a town full of creeps, clowns, mobsters and, if you know where to look, the occasional honest citizen. Guide private investigator Lanson Rose through a series of puzzling cases: solve the city's liquor supply problem...

Leather Goddesses of Phobos, by Steve Meretzky
And now... the next exciting episode of humanoids in space! How did you, a regular at Joe's Bar in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, end up on a Martian moon? Can you prevent the hideous space creature from abducting the naked heiress? Why does...

Dangerous Curves appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Detective and mystery games by MathBrush
These are games where you play a detective or someone else investigating a mystery. Most of them are realistic games which I am splitting off of my realistic list. Some are more magical or science fi-ish.

The following polls include votes for Dangerous Curves:

Looking for games that take place between the 50's and 60's by H. W. Wiliams
I'm interested in playing some great noir style games in any genre really.

Cool Murder Mystery/Detective Games by Christopher Caesar
Hey everybody. I am looking for a murder mystery text game. I finished An Act of Murder a while ago and want to play more games like that, where to get to solve the murder yourself. If you could tell me some of your recommendations that...

Bound by human frailties??? by Stickz
I'm looking for games where the PC is faced with needs like eating, sleeping, and thirst. Unusual inventory limitations. Things that make them appear a little more human.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 24 February 2013 at 10:18am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item