I have no idea how to obtain a copy of this game. If you ever find it, please notify me!

Valley of the Minotaur

by Nicolas van Dyk

1983

"Valley of the Minotaur" is an EXTREMELY obscure (effectively non-existent, I fear) 1983 IF game developed exclusively for the Apple II-series of computers. Its author, Nicolas van Dyk, won a game-writing contest sponsored by Softalk magazine; the principal prize was he got his game commercially published. The game was a treasure hunt in the style of Zork I, and relied on a simple, two-word (verb-noun) parser. In addition to the collection of the various treasures, there was a secondary goal of slaying the evil Minotaur. Despite its relative technical unsophistication (as compared to the Infocom games of its day), it was a VERY large game which occurred in a huge & evocative island setting, requiring the use of both sides of its 5.25" floppy disk. The game was very quirky, and may have actually had some (minor) bugs.

Language: English (en-US)
License: Commercial (Out of Print)
Development System: None
IFID: D75B5B3A-41C0-45E6-9E59-DAD2AD23E159
TUID: nf6mkp1kskofrbk3

This isn't a real review, November 1, 2012
by teenbat
Related reviews: minotaur lair found
I have no idea how to use this site... So I figure that I would do it this way. Would Valley of the Minotaur, by chance, also be called Lair of the Minotaur? If so, I found a disk image.

If you enjoyed Valley of the Minotaur...

People who like Valley of the Minotaur also gave high ratings to these games:

Lost Pig, by Admiral Jota

The One That Got Away, by Leon Lin
Go fishing for 'The Old One'. Won 3rd place....

Enchanter, by Marc Blank, Dave Lebling
In Enchanter, the first of a spellbinding series in the tradition of Zork, you are a novice magician whom Fate has chosen to do singlehanded combat with a dark and fierce power. But worldly weapons will avail you naught, for your foe is...

The following polls include votes for Valley of the Minotaur:

The Most Obscure Commercial IF Game I've Ever Played by Xervosh
I'm hoping to be reminded of some of the obscure little IF games I may have played during the 1980s, but since can't recall. In addition, this poll may get a few more obscure games from the 1980s (or early 90s, or late 70s) listed in the...

Great treasure hunt games by Molly
Good treasure hunting games in the vein of Zork and Adventure, although they may not necessarily be set in caves.

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Xervosh on 31 August 2010 at 5:21am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item