introcomp13.zip
Contains Best_Laid_Plans.gblorb
All seven games entered in IntroComp 2013.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Walkthrough and map
Verbose walkthrough and map (for Introcomp version) by David Welbourn.

Best Laid Plans

by David Whyld profile

Your lab partner has been shot dead and you've been locked in a room, likely to face a similar fate. Your chances of escape are pretty slim as you have no weapons or means of opening the door.

But, of course, you have SADI...

First Publication Date: July 17, 2013
IFID: 8D0BCBAE-E3C3-45E6-94F6-59245A85D5EB
TUID: kszv99z9a2eas65m

1st Place - IntroComp 2013

Great intro to a story--, December 16, 2013
This is a very short piece for the intro comp. It is not a game, but an introduction, and as such, the story & plot are not fully revealed.

This piece balances the familiar tropes of IF--you begin locked in a cell, in a lab full of hostile agent--against the unfamiliar and novel--you have a device which absorbs scenery and repositions it. It has a lot of promise, and even as a short, stand-alone piece it is worth playing and contains much to praise.

The premise is familiar, and the subversion of it through the main game mechanic is really very engaging. For a 10 minute game, it gives the impression of a much larger world, with an almost endless capacity for interaction. This feels like a huge game, and I felt incredibly disappointed when I had reached the end so quickly.

An unusual protagonist with fantastic powers is explained without creating a wall of exposition or back story, nor employing heavy-handed sci-fi tropes--very well-done. In general, the writing is very good. It is engaging and creates a sense of place and character quickly and briefly.

I really hope that this intro is developed into a full-length game. I'd love to see the capabilities of the device fleshed out, and this is my only real criticism. I was frustrated that I couldn't dictate where an absorbed object should be released in a room--although, I expect I'd be fine with that in a full game, it would be nice to be able to move objects to different walls, even if it doesn't change the game world much.

If you enjoyed Best Laid Plans...