Nocked! True Tales of Robin Hood

by Andrew G. Schneider profile

RPG

You are Robin of Locksley. Hounded from your home by the Sheriff of Nottingham, take control of your fate in this extravagant choose-your-own-adventure style role-playing game. Rob from the rich, rally the people, build a settlement, and battle the Sheriff of Nottingham for control of Sherwood Forest.

First Publication Date: July 8, 2016
License: Commercial
TUID: kcu2x7ah99a0ez20

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2016

Gamebook News

“A magical game, interactive fiction with a heart, soul, and style.”

Zonezter

After building a base in the trees, they were “inspired to start and draw a sketch of what I imagined the tree house would look like.”

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
She reviews the game and notes there is a “...huge amount of narrative consequence for your choices. I played a good bit, but I haven’t talked much about the plot because I can’t be sure that your plot experience will be anything like mine."

Playful, heartfelt, full of wonder, July 18, 2017
This game gambols through every version of Robin Hood you could wish, alternately merry and serious, full of choice and consequence, and highly repayable. Heartily recommended.

I loved choosing and developing my base, and seeing things develop there -- my deepening relationships with companions, buildings rising, it turning into a little township of its own, full of its own activity.
I loved getting mail -- hearing how things have proceeded after I made a choice or helped someone.
The castle sequence is a fond homage to Zork and the era of "go north" and drawing your own maps.
Even choices that seem like they might not be rewarded in most interactive fiction games -- silence in a conversation, going back to sleep instead of chasing a midnight will o the wisp, declining to go on a raid, failing to elude the sheriff -- have interesting outcomes, and the game is full of what feel like hidden nooks. It's remarkably branching and repayable for such a large, even epic game.

It's warmhearted -- the couple romances I've played feel tender and real, as do the friendships and companions. It's often laugh out loud funny.
The art is lovely and evocative. The changing seasons -- especially the seasonally shifting art -- give the game an earthy, sensuous quality appropriate to the Bold Outlaw of the green woods.... whoever he or she may be in your telling.

A stat-and-story heavy mobile-friendly game about Robin Hood., April 8, 2016
Related reviews: Spring Thing 2016
This Spring Thing entry is a preview of a big mobile friendly game about Robin Hood. Gameplay-wise, it most resembles Choice of Games, with stats and romances and branch and bottleneck gameplay. However, the finished game will have several illustrations, and the game is not constrained by CoG conventions.

Gameplay was exciting, keeping me guessing at what was important but rewarding careful planning. The game is already large, with a great deal of mythology and folklore mixed in.

I recommend this to anyone, especially Robin Hood fans. The one drawback I found was that I did not feel emotionally invested in the story, which of course may vary from player to player.

If you enjoyed Nocked! True Tales of Robin Hood...