Walkthrough
The game's walkthrough, in RTF fomat.

Eidolon

by A.D. Jansen

Surreal

When you wake up, something is passing through the night sky.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
TUID: i6hdqkbq45y9e9f5

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story - 2014 XYZZY Awards

8th Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

Surprisingly large and non-linear for a twine game; vivid, haunting writing, April 30, 2015
This is a very large Twine game that starts out mostly linear, branches a little, and then branches a lot. It includes a large area with a variety of rooms, including a clever means of transportation (Spoiler - click to show)the curious door/button combo. The genre is subtle horror/mystery, and the writing is evocative and sticks with you.

The lack of a save feature is annoying; as a casual gamer, I can't finish the game in one sitting, and it's difficult to juggle tabs to keep the game open throughout the day. This is one game I would like to finish.

probably my favorite twine or even IF i've played, January 2, 2017
I've dabbled in a few dozen IF titles in the past few years, and since i played this one in early 2015, i still come back to it. I've recommended it to a lot of fiction, horror, or fantasy readers I know. The interesting mix of dread, amusement, fear, sadness, and surprise throughout really won me over and I still think about it a lot.

I agree with some other reviewers that it's length is such that a save function would be welcome, especially since it did get more challenging eventually. But there's no death or circumstance that demand a restart. But as a personal story with great imagery, some interesting puzzles, and a great and genuinely pretty bizarre tone I think it stands above a lot of IF games. Play it asap, with a lot of free time and a dark cool room.

Puzzles within dreams, March 31, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
You can't sleep. It's like the insomnia your mother told you about: it's like a seed, and every night you can't sleep, it takes root and germinates... what then?

Eidolon is at first a kind of interactive dream sequence, but it quickly becomes something much weirder. The beginning sequences felt a lot like S Woodson's Beautiful Dreamer. The imagery and NPCs have the surreality of Alice in Wonderland, coloured by faerie folklore. Jansen's writing style favours the weird turn of phrase and evocative metaphors, which suited a story which may or may not exist in your own head.

The story is largely linear, but, unusually for a Twine game, involves some puzzles. These had consistent mechanisms and were meticulously done, with lots of moving parts. Because the story world relies on a bit of symbolism and not taking things too literally, I admit I had some difficulty but... this should not be a problem for most. (Disclaimer: I resorted to the walkthrough here.)

Eidolon is well-written, and much deeper than it first appears. If you like dreamlike stories set in a faerie world, of sorts, or subversions of fantasy quests, then you might like this.

(Originally posted on http://verityvirtue.wordpress.com)

If you enjoyed Eidolon...

People who like Eidolon also gave high ratings to these games:

Nautilisia, by Ryan Veeder
Your friend claims to be in a coma.

Opening Night, by David Batterham
You stepped off the streetcar moments ago, halting before the grand facade of the Marquis Theatre. You have come to see your idol, the Broadway star Miranda Lily, performing in all her dizzying glory. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

Take, by Katherine Morayati (as Amelia Pinnolla)
You are battle-weary. Your armor is scanty and your countenance is loathsome; you tire of the swords flicking at your neck. But you have a duty. There is nothing you can't take. (Content warning: Violence, implied adult themes,...

Eidolon appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great Twine/Choice games for those skeptical of the format by MathBrush
I didn't like Twine at first, but slowly I've changed my opinion about it, until now, many of my favorite games are Twine/Choice games (including Varytale or choice-style parser games). These games tend to be very different genres from...

Great "white hat" horror games by genre by MathBrush
This list does not include games intended to disgust or to make you personally feel evil. The focus is on games where good overcomes evil, or that just make you think. That is what I mean by "white hat" games. Games like Vespers or...

Games that I couldn't put down by MathBrush
These are games that for some reason or over I just couldn't stop playing and thinking about. There are no specific reasons given. These aren't necessarily my favorite games; one reason they are pageturner is that the pacing is good and...

The following polls include votes for Eidolon:

Mother-Daugher Relations by matt w (Matt Weiner)
What are some IF works that involve a relationship between a mother and a daughter? Not necessarily as the center of the work, but as something that impinges on it at all.

Hypertext stories that make heavy use of text transformations by Bruno Dias
I'm looking for hypertexts that make heavy use of stretchtext and related effects to tell their story - Links that add, remove, or alter text within a passage. Swan Hill for instance makes heavy use of this, and my own work does too, but...

School of Chaos Creepypasta's by StrawberryPie1
I'm looking for realistic gaming stories that include creepypasta

This is version 5 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 8 February 2017 at 4:51pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item