Walkthrough
The game's walkthrough, in RTF fomat.

Eidolon

by A.D. Jansen

When you wake up, something is passing through the night sky.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
TUID: i6hdqkbq45y9e9f5

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story - 2014 XYZZY Awards

8th Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

Surprisingly large and non-linear for a twine game; vivid, haunting writing, April 30, 2015
This is a very large Twine game that starts out mostly linear, branches a little, and then branches a lot. It includes a large area with a variety of rooms, including a clever means of transportation (Spoiler - click to show)the curious door/button combo. The genre is subtle horror/mystery, and the writing is evocative and sticks with you.

The lack of a save feature is annoying; as a casual gamer, I can't finish the game in one sitting, and it's difficult to juggle tabs to keep the game open throughout the day. This is one game I would like to finish.

probably my favorite twine or even IF i've played, January 2, 2017
I've dabbled in a few dozen IF titles in the past few years, and since i played this one in early 2015, i still come back to it. I've recommended it to a lot of fiction, horror, or fantasy readers I know. The interesting mix of dread, amusement, fear, sadness, and surprise throughout really won me over and I still think about it a lot.

I agree with some other reviewers that it's length is such that a save function would be welcome, especially since it did get more challenging eventually. But there's no death or circumstance that demand a restart. But as a personal story with great imagery, some interesting puzzles, and a great and genuinely pretty bizarre tone I think it stands above a lot of IF games. Play it asap, with a lot of free time and a dark cool room.

Puzzles within dreams, March 31, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
You can't sleep. It's like the insomnia your mother told you about: it's like a seed, and every night you can't sleep, it takes root and germinates... what then?

Eidolon is at first a kind of interactive dream sequence, but it quickly becomes something much weirder. The beginning sequences felt a lot like S Woodson's Beautiful Dreamer. The imagery and NPCs have the surreality of Alice in Wonderland, coloured by faerie folklore. Jansen's writing style favours the weird turn of phrase and evocative metaphors, which suited a story which may or may not exist in your own head.

The story is largely linear, but, unusually for a Twine game, involves some puzzles. These had consistent mechanisms and were meticulously done, with lots of moving parts. Because the story world relies on a bit of symbolism and not taking things too literally, I admit I had some difficulty but... this should not be a problem for most. (Disclaimer: I resorted to the walkthrough here.)

Eidolon is well-written, and much deeper than it first appears. If you like dreamlike stories set in a faerie world, of sorts, or subversions of fantasy quests, then you might like this.

(Originally posted on http://verityvirtue.wordpress.com)

If you enjoyed Eidolon...