Shelby.sit.bin
Mac OS Application (Compressed with StuffIt, encoded in MacBinary format. Free StuffIt Expanders are available for most systems at www.stuffit.com.)
Shelby.sit.hqx
Mac OS Application (Compressed with StuffIt, encoded in BinHex format. Free StuffIt Expanders are available for most systems at www.stuffit.com.)
shelby.zip *

The Light: Shelby's Addendum

by Colm McCarthy

Part of Quest Adventure
1995

You play as Maurice L. Shelby, a laboratory apprentice employed by Commission Research Station 12B. The station is rather important: it houses one of several beacons placed around the world that generate the dimensional field that prevents total disaster. (It's a long story.) Unfortunately, you'll learn that one of the researchers has gone mad and stolen the beacon's phase modulator! The entire planet is doomed unless you can retrieve the modulator and restore the field.

Current Version: Release 2.1
License: Shareware
IFID: TADS2-B9D4C9034B21BB9A00E3309FD9B5B9E8
TUID: ehgrdmftq2kj7cci

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Setting - 1996 XYZZY Awards

A tense and gripping story set in and around an old lighthouse converted into a scientific research station. People vanish before your eyes, reality unravels at the edges, and through it all the storm approaches. Lots of description. Good building of drama and mystery, except for some mood-breaking silly bits in the second half. Has a mixture of mechanical and information-gathering puzzles, with a rather short time limit (given the richness of the environment) for a crucial early puzzle.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

IF-Review
Disconnected Illusions
Overall, LSA is not too bad. Its shortcomings are only particularly noticeable when you see how much better it could have been. [...] As it is, hurried along by the limited plot, I never connected with the characters or environment.

In truth, despite the incongruency of the puzzles, I hasten to say that I enjoyed "Shelby's Addendum" a great deal. This game is well written. The plot is great, there's a bit of horror (but nothing overboard), the characters are well developed (including the player's character, which is unusual in IF but handled beautifully here), and the room descriptions and scenery descriptions are vivid and consistently of the highest quality. (Molley the Mage)

I've been rather harsh in this review; there are good aspects to "The Light: Shelby's Addendum," and it would not have been out of place had it appeared as a mid-period Infocom game. But I didn't enjoy playing it very much because the moments of excitement were few and far between. (Gareth Rees)

Xyzzy News
The room and object descriptions are very well detailed, which contributes a lot to the atmosphere. Very often using the EXAMINE ALL or SEARCH ALL commands is key to finding a missing crucial object or discover how to solve a certain puzzle. There are also many nice touches that add an air of sinisterness, such as the blood-covered mophead or a lingering bad smell.

An early hit that was later forgotten. Huge lab/lighthouse exploration game., February 3, 2016
This long sci-fi game was nominated for the very first XYZZY award for Best Game in 1996. It is a sequel to former games, as far as I can tell.

This game seems to have been forgotten, with only 3 ratings and no reviews on IFDB. It is a very large game, about as long as Spellbreaker.

The plot concerns a young apprentice scientist who isn't doing as good as they should working on scientific research working in a slightly different universe (with a sort of C. E. J. Pacian feel). Many things show up here before other games; you explore a complicated set of labs the year before Babel came out, and you explore a creepy lighthouse two years before Anchorhead.

The tone is mildly dark and mildly humorous. Some parts of the game near the end are pretty silly. I still don't understand (Spoiler - click to show)the transvestite squid and the yellow submarine full of blue rodents. I have no idea why the tone changed so much there.

This is an old-school game, where they were still incorporating Infocom tricks like search-everywhere puzzles and hidden timers that were only designed to increase the length of small-size games. In a large game like this, it is frankly unfair. Many of the puzzles have difficult solutions, and many items are under-implemented.

I loved the story, as much as I understood it. I just took a walkthrough and ran with it.

If you enjoyed The Light: Shelby's Addendum...