Competition version.
Download files
Index of files to download, including images.

The Shoe Dept.

by Aquanet

What has two tongues but can't talk and follows us everywhere we go? Our lovely, leathery shoes, of course, the absolute last thing any person would ever expect to harbor a terrible secret. Fifteen-year-old Michael Cherry, for example, has no idea.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: dxezgdjudcbq12h

18th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
The premise of the New Shoe being the lynchpin behind the Evil Plot defuses a bit of the tension, in favour of humour and whimsy. I don't know that it offers anything new or surprising, but it's a fairly entertaining story nonetheless. Actually, come to think of it, perhaps the tension feels surprisingly low, given the nature of the story. I'm not sure why this is.

If you enjoyed The Shoe Dept....

People who like The Shoe Dept. also gave high ratings to these games:

The Tiniest Room, by Erik108
An "Escape the Room" kind of game made with less than 300 words for the Twiny Jam.

Creatures Such As We, by Lynnea Glasser
A dating sim about how humanity connects through art, even out in the vastness of space.

Earth and Sky, by Paul O'Brian
It's been almost a month since your parents disappeared. One Tuesday, they just didn't come home, and there's been no sign of them since. For the University and the rest of the town, the mystery is beginning to pall. To those people,...

The Shoe Dept. appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Doug's Top Ten of IF Comp 2016 by Doug Orleans
I played all but one of the 58 entries in IF Comp 2016 (I couldn't play Labyrinth of Loci because I don't have access to Windows or Mac OS). These were the top ten games on my ballot. Note that I rate games on slightly different criteria...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 3:09pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item