Competition version.
Download files
Index of files to download, including images.

The Shoe Dept.

by Aquanet

What has two tongues but can't talk and follows us everywhere we go? Our lovely, leathery shoes, of course, the absolute last thing any person would ever expect to harbor a terrible secret. Fifteen-year-old Michael Cherry, for example, has no idea.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: dxezgdjudcbq12h

18th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
The premise of the New Shoe being the lynchpin behind the Evil Plot defuses a bit of the tension, in favour of humour and whimsy. I don't know that it offers anything new or surprising, but it's a fairly entertaining story nonetheless. Actually, come to think of it, perhaps the tension feels surprisingly low, given the nature of the story. I'm not sure why this is.

A legnthy twine game with inventory and puzzles about evil and shoes, May 9, 2017
This is a pretty long twine game with some dark humor, all about a conspiracy and a new shoe.

This game is well-coded, and includes difficult twine constructs and handles it well. The text seems mostly error-free.

The game handles puzzles much better than most Twine games. The annoyance of lawnmowering links was offset by the creativity of the puzzle design.

The writing wasn't especially polished, and the story was hard to follow in places. It has a single and unnecessary strong profanity near the start.

If you enjoyed The Shoe Dept....

People who like The Shoe Dept. also gave high ratings to these games:

Tales of the Traveling Swordsman, by Mike Snyder
You are the traveling swordsman; the strong and silent stranger; the wandering vanquisher of villainy. Damsels swoon for you. Good men respect and envy you. Scoundrels learn to fear you. Even so, you are but a rumor throughout the land....

The Dreamhold, by Andrew Plotkin

Map, by Ade McT
The house is growing. Or perhaps it's you who is shrinking. And with all this extra space is coming....time. Time enough, maybe, to make some changes.

The Shoe Dept. appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Doug's Top Ten of IF Comp 2016 by Doug Orleans
I played all but one of the 58 entries in IF Comp 2016 (I couldn't play Labyrinth of Loci because I don't have access to Windows or Mac OS). These were the top ten games on my ballot. Note that I rate games on slightly different criteria...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 3:09pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item