Birdland

- eyeballkidable, July 16, 2016

- aom, June 28, 2016

A long, well-developed 'dramedy' about summer camp and dreams, June 26, 2016
Related reviews: IF Comp 2015
This game from IFComp 2015 is, in my opinion, one of the best Twine games of all time, and certainly the best outside of the well-developed horror/darkness segment.

In this game, gameplay is split up between a summer camp with a slice-of-life scenario and dreams with an absurdist take on talking birds. As the game progresses, the two halves become more related.

The game takes a stats-based approach, with a twist. You develop statistics at night during your dreams; in the day, it affects what options you have for various activities. At first, I felt like the stats didn't matter, because scene follows scene in the same order regardless of your actions. However, on replay, I found that some of the best material is contained in stats-enabled actions.

This story is long and has several surprising turns. It's split into several days, each of which can be accessed independently in case you can't finish in one sitting. Because stats seem to be reset each night, I don't think you lose anything just skipping ahead.

The game includes some mild summer-camp-normal sexual references near the beginning, and one branch of one scene contains strong profanity.

Recommended for everyone.

Edit: When I played through again, I counted the distinct pages I viewed, and I took 234 choices/pages to complete the game.

- kybrsmith, June 20, 2016

- nosferatu, June 14, 2016

- Matt W (San Diego, CA), May 31, 2016

- Sorrel, May 30, 2016

- liz73 (Cornwall, New York), May 25, 2016

Nice!, May 21, 2016

Pretty interesting and fun for a Twine game! The choices based on moods are brilliantly unique.

- Doug Orleans (Somerville, MA, USA), May 19, 2016