story file

Les lettres volées

by Eric Forgeot profile

Espionage
2008

Une vie de labeur, la responsabilité des secrets découverts, et aussi celle de ceux révélés par la suite, mon état pourrait sembler n'être pas forcément très enviable, mais de mon point de vue je n'avais jamais eu le temps de m'en plaindre.

Language: French (fr)
First Publication Date: November 23, 2008
License: Creative Commons
IFID: C4CCA3FA-0EF6-11DD-9F9A-001558459127
TUID: ac3yqe95gl98ev1

2nd Place - French Comp 2008

Lettres Volées as played during the French IFComp 2008, March 19, 2011
by Felix Pleșoianu (Bucharest, Romania)
Related reviews: French IFComp 2008

Lettres Volées ("Stolen Letters") is the kind of game you can't write much about without giving spoilers. Let's just say it's a game in which you're not moving in space but in time. That's very rare in IF, despite the fact that time tracking is well-supported by Inform, at the very least.

Essentially, we're talking about a one-room game where descriptions change constantly. As time passes, you remember more relevant information about the surrounding objects, and you're offered more things to do with them. As a nice touch, the location itself is only described indirectly, through said objects. Artistically speaking, this works very well. Lettres volées does a great job of setting a mood and making an indirectly-discovered world come to life.

On the minus side, what I'm supposed to do in the game is despicable. I had to turn to the solution to even realize what was expected of me, and I still don't understand why I should be interested in doing it. And what's with all the waiting? I know there's a reason for it, but the third or fourth time it's no longer funny. Either I'm not on the author's wavelength, or else Lettres... needs a lot more clues. And I mean in-game, not in the hint system!

I could not reach the end in time for the voting deadline, (or afterwards, for that matter) but I hope to return to it someday, if only to see what other surprises the game has in store.

If you enjoyed Les lettres volées...

People who like Les lettres volées also gave high ratings to these games:

L'Envol, by Benjamin Roux
"Il est tard. La journée fut longue, et exténuante. Vous êtes content d'être enfin seul dans votre chambre, pour goûter à un repos bien mérité. Tout est calme autour de vous, la soirée s'annonce tranquille. Ou peut-être pas." (Attention,...

Suveh Nux, by David Fisher
An entry in the 2007 One Room Game Competition. You play a magician's servant who gets trapped in your master's vault; you'll need to learn some of his tricks if you want to get out.

Trac, by Eric Forgeot
Average member rating: (1 rating)
Imaginez-vous sur une grande scène, avec les projecteurs dans les yeux et du vide à perte de vue. C'est déjà pleinement angoissant non ? Maintenant imaginez la même scène, mais avec du public emplissant tous les sièges de la salle. Le...

The following polls include votes for Les lettres volées:

Games with an evolving environment by Sorrel
I'm looking for IF where the setting constantly evolves/changes to either advance the plot or confuse the player. Something to the effect of Shade.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Otto on 17 December 2008 at 5:48pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item