500 Apocalypses

by Phantom Williams profile

500 Apocalypses is a web installation memorializing collapsed civilizations from across our universe. This interactive space is designed to allow contemplative engagement with five hundred curated entries from the Encyclopedia Apocalyptica.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: 9itoii9lv3rt1760

18th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

Waypoint
Witness the Ending of Alien Civilization in '500 Apocalypses'
Each blue dot is the end of something. There are no beginnings in the Memorial, or none that I have found anyway. Five hundred is a very large number, it is a very large number of endings. I can only manage ten entries at a time. I come back to the memorial every few weeks and grasp at another ten. I have never seen the same entry twice. If I were to read one of them a day, make a ritual out of it, I would finish in the April of 2018. Perhaps it would be getting a little warmer as I read the final entries. I would have seen worlds end five hundred times.

The Breakfast Review
The stories are all whole and discrete, with no choices to be made or parts to be moved. It's exactly like simply picking up an anthology and reading random stories out of it, even if the presentation disguises it....

If you enjoyed 500 Apocalypses...

People who like 500 Apocalypses also gave high ratings to these games:

Her Majesty's Trolley Problem, by Buster Hudson
No one said life in Her Majesty's Service would be easy. Fortunately, you've got everything you need: your officer's handbook, a harpoon cannon, and the indefatigable command of Captain Lionetta herself. If the Captain can't navigate you...

Winter Storm Draco, by Ryan Veeder
A chronicle of the events of the winter storm of the same name.

False Mavis, by Ted Casaubon (as Litany Brisket)
An entry in ShuffleComp: Disc 2. Inspired by "Burning Rope" by Genesis and "Long Lankin" by Steeleye Span.

This is version 10 of this page, edited by phantomwilliams on 11 December 2016 at 1:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item