500 Apocalypses

by Phantom Williams profile

500 Apocalypses is a web installation memorializing collapsed civilizations from across our universe. This interactive space is designed to allow contemplative engagement with five hundred curated entries from the Encyclopedia Apocalyptica.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: 9itoii9lv3rt1760

Nominee, Best Writing - 2016 XYZZY Awards

18th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

Waypoint
Witness the Ending of Alien Civilization in '500 Apocalypses'
Each blue dot is the end of something. There are no beginnings in the Memorial, or none that I have found anyway. Five hundred is a very large number, it is a very large number of endings. I can only manage ten entries at a time. I come back to the memorial every few weeks and grasp at another ten. I have never seen the same entry twice. If I were to read one of them a day, make a ritual out of it, I would finish in the April of 2018. Perhaps it would be getting a little warmer as I read the final entries. I would have seen worlds end five hundred times.

The Breakfast Review
The stories are all whole and discrete, with no choices to be made or parts to be moved. It's exactly like simply picking up an anthology and reading random stories out of it, even if the presentation disguises it....

A interconnected web of short, apocalyptic stories, July 1, 2017
This game was really talked about a lot in the 2016 IFComp. It is unusual; it consists of many (< 500) short stories about apocalypses, many of them grim or with body horror, but with good writing. The player was invited to add to the total number of apocalypses.

I found a lot of the apocalypses very enjoyable. The format was hard for me to navigate, though; I couldn't find new stories at the pace that I wanted to. They are linked by keywords, sometimes, and sometimes not (i.e. there are dead-end links).

I enjoyed it.

If you enjoyed 500 Apocalypses...

People who like 500 Apocalypses also gave high ratings to these games:

Nine Lives, by Merlin Fisher
Le Grand Guignol entry in ECTOCOMP 2015.

A Trial, by B Minus Seven
A funny thing happens on your way to the Center for Nominal Reassignment. "A Trial" is a chimera of prose, poetry and ???.

Digital Witnesses, by rosencrantz
You are on the run, but why? A short fiction created in twenty-three Twine passages, prompted by a challenge on Twinery.org.

The following polls include votes for 500 Apocalypses:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Games of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Writing of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Writing in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

This is version 10 of this page, edited by phantomwilliams on 11 December 2016 at 1:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item