Tutorial.zblorb

Tutorial

by Nereare profile

Slice of life
2011

You are trapped inside your boat for quite some time now. Silent radio, no sight on the horizon. No hope seems to bloom until you see a strange island on the horizon.

First Publication Date: October 30, 2011
License: GPL
Forgiveness Rating: Tough
IFID: D133E4AC-027F-11E1-9109-0024D61FD264
TUID: 9ia8wxpijijmln7b

Noble effort, but..., May 14, 2016
It's not very good. The writing is awkward and filled with typos. It uses the wrong words at times. There are comma splices. The first sentence in the game is "Now you've been wondering for three days straight, no sight of shore or boat, no sign of radio or living being..." I mean, I get the gist of what it's trying to say, but these are things a good proofreading or two could pick up. It could read a lot less awkwardly.

It tends to overexplain things. Before I even type a command it says "Now, follow the hint below and press SPACE", which has "Please press SPACE to continue" right below it. I get that it's better to err on the side of caution when you're trying to teach something unfamiliar but that's a little ridiculous.

The game explains movement shortcuts but doesn't bother to tell the player about l, x, or g; three shortcuts that really come in handy, and it would've been nice to see them mentioned.

The implementation only handles what the tutorial wants you to do. I don't see anything interesting about anything on the boat. I don't even see a boat, as "x boat" informed me. If this game's intent is to teach and get me excited about playing IF, it's doing a poor job. The following spoiler doesn't really amount to much, as there's not much game or plot here, but I'll put it in there just in case. The (Spoiler - click to show)island I reach is about the same. I see no shore. I see no palm trees. I see no coconuts. I see nothing interesting about the cell phone.

When I try to pick it up it tells me that it's "hardly portable". What a terrible cell phone!
I'm not sure what to do here. The only obvious verb I can think of is unimplemented and the overly helpful tutorial goes silent on what it's expecting me to do. "Hint" is unimplemented. "Help" is unimplemented. "Credits" is unimplemented. "About" is unimplemented. The "tutorial" game that held my hand for the most part proves unwinnable!

This game has good intentions, but there are better introductory games out there. Bronze and The Dreamhold come to mind. Not only do they serve as better introductions to interactive fiction, they also serve as complete, fun games.

Not a bad little tutorial, December 23, 2011
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
Just as it says, this is a short tutorial game about being lost at sea that would be a good example game for new players. The player is guided the entire way through.

The only niggle is the last action in the game (Spoiler - click to show)PICK UP THE GLOBAL CELLPHONE is not spelled out, and synonyms PHONE, CELL, CELLPHONE do not seem to work. Perhaps the point is to get new players adjusted to guess-the-noun puzzlery?
Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.

If you enjoyed Tutorial...

Other members recommend this game for people who like Tutorial:

The Dreamhold, by Andrew Plotkin

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Nereare on 30 October 2011 at 10:30am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item