Story file

The People's Glorious Revolutionary Text Adventure Game

by Taylor Vaughan

2010

Sure, there's only five of you against a world full of reactionaries, but you have Revolutionary Spirit! You can't possibly fail. Nothing can stand in your way! Now if only you could find your Revolutionary to-do list...

First Publication Date: October 1, 2010
IFID: 5AF8EA8C-F5BB-447C-A0B2-1497BD7B874A
TUID: 8le4zj44wh217o0o

7th Place - 16th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2010)

Nominee, Best Puzzles - 2010 XYZZY Awards

A sonnet review 8), October 17, 2010
The People's Glorious Revolutionary Text Adventure Game

I like a laugh when I fire up a game,
And I'm a serious Marx Brothers fan,
So, though it's got a most unwieldy name
For sonnetizing, I will say the span
Of time spent playing passes pleasantly
As one goes forth to stir up discontent
Amongst the masses (Played in company
Such as I had, it's even better), meant
To choose Red over other hues, one finds
A to-do list of challenges, each one
To win the people's hearts and sometimes minds.
The toys you get to use are lots of fun,
And though it's communism you must spread,
You're forcing Groucho quoting in its stead.

Cross-posted from Suppertime Sonnets

Revolutionary Funny!, November 2, 2010
A very fresh parody adventure game. Writing is very brief but carries enough punch to make you laugh at every communist remark. The non-linear gameplay and the seemingly confusing positive outcomes of wrong decisions that waste important items can lead to several restarts but the game is short enough and puzzles are all very logical and obvious enough to not frustrate the player, although a morality dilemma that may or may not be taken seriously will lead to a sudden twist that marks the otherwise happy ending. The game is very well paced, with a free roaming puzzle solving and action-packed culmination that is a bit shallow and could have been more intense.

Concise, with a lovely, dry wit, February 14, 2011
by Irfon-Kim Ahmad (Toronto, Canada)
I think that I'm going to have to add this to my collection of "gateway games," with which to introduce new players to IF. It's a quick play, reasonably well-hinted, with built-in hints available that should minimize frustration. Almost all puzzles have multiple solutions and yet the same objects can be used to solve multiple puzzles, so there aren't a whole pile of red herrings left around. However, aside from just being, as described, a well-designed game that works, it's a barrel of fun to play, if you enjoy its dry wit. It's very well-written, and I think one of the only reasons it's not up for a best-writing XYZZY (other than that I didn't get around to putting in nominations, to be fair) this year is that its light-hearted writing is more fun than evocative, per se. The story is engaging, and many of the responses brought a smile to my face. It's also very rare that I'll play a game multiple times, but I'm keen on trying to play through this one again looking for an alternate ending. Overall, I recommend this one quite a bit.

If you enjoyed The People's Glorious Revolutionary Text Adventure Game...

People who like The People's Glorious Revolutionary Text Adventure Game also gave high ratings to these games:

The Endling Archive, by Kazuki Mishima
Browse the Endling Archive to uncover the purpose of its creation.

Punk Points, by Jim Munroe
"It's the first day of high school and you've decided to give yourself a mohawk. Now you've gotta stand up to teachers, impress peers and make a name for yourself until you've earned enough Punk Points to escape the suburbs." [--blurb...

The Ascot, by Duncan Bowsman
A City Park Underground Y/N CYOA. Straightforward and slangy.

The People's Glorious Revolutionary Text Adventure Game appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Tim's Top Games by timothyareeder

Faves~ by dacharya64
My favorite IF games of all time, as I've played 'em.

The following polls include votes for The People's Glorious Revolutionary Text Adventure Game:

Silly Games by Charlie Marcou
I find that I enjoy the more silly interactive fiction rather than more serious interactive fiction. So that's what this poll is for.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 3 October 2010 at 10:30am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item