Alice Falling
Link to an html-file, playable online.
Twine File
Alice Falling, twine file A zip, containing the tws.-file, the twine source.
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Alice Falling

by Matthias Conrady profile

Adaptation

An adaptation of the beginning of Alice in Wonderland. Contemplate your little girl life while plummeting through the rabbit-hole.

The association-filled writing of Caroll urged me to try an adaption.

First Publication Date: March 11, 2013
License: Creative Commons
TUID: 64yl9n4tg7pm4b06

Curiouser and Curiouser, March 11, 2014
by Molly (USA)
Alice Falling is a Twine adaption of the falling scene from Alice in Wonderland. It's a very short piece, and can be completed in about ten minutes or less. It's not really "gamey", and there's no branching or anything, so I'd suggest you steer clear of this one if you need any of that in your interactive entertainment. But the text effects and backgrounds are really well done and clever, and I found it to be a very charming Alice adaption. If you're a fan of the books, give it a shot.

Too Many Effects Overwhelm The Text, March 11, 2014
It seems to be a fairly straightforward rendition of a specific scene from Alice in Wonderland, but I only made it ten or so clicks in. Enough to know I dislike the way this was handled intensely.

What I liked about the original scene, the graceful descent in a sort of dreamlike, accepting fog, is completely missing here, obliterated by the flashing, sliding, blinking, and fading of text effects gone haywire. To be honest, I became afraid that my next click would take me to a screamer or something similar and I lost my nerve to continue.

Perhaps if taken at a slower pace, the effects wouldn't be so overwhelming, but it's interactive fiction. It's necessary to take into account that some readers will read more quickly than others (especially when you're adapting a well-known work). I don't usually appreciate speed limits, but in this case, I think they would have improved the experience.

I would read this at full length., March 13, 2014
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
I'm a Wonderland nerd, so I enjoyed this immensely. I would love to see the entire text done with some creative styling similar to what this falling sequence does.

If you enjoyed Alice Falling...