Play online

A Cold Grave

by Mike Michalik

In a cold, snowy country a man finds a victim of a Drowner attack. The man is a psychic detective. An old friend. But why are you there?

First Publication Date: June 16, 2013
License: Free
TUID: 5c5godhu5laul5r9

Impressive, December 28, 2013
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
A very nicely styled Twine story. Low agency, but paced very nicely. The story is oblique but understandable, there's a little bit of gore as you are a psychic who enters the minds of the dead to get clues about their demise.

The writing is restrained, but a little bit on the nose at the beginning. The writing gets better as the story goes along and the author settles in.

I would definitely read more of this if it were a full-length novella or a slightly expanded and more interactive experience as a full-blown game. There are lots of hooks in this set up to give the reader more choice and more chances to explore and examine and interact. The author does a lot of good things with word-changing paragraphs.

What a sight!, August 25, 2015
by verityvirtue (London)
In this visually compelling work, you are a psychic detective called to the side of a body. A familiar body. What happened to it?

The strongest point of this game has to be the brilliant use of the visual interface that Twine offers. (Spoiler - click to show)I thought the cutscenes right up near the beginning, as well as the moment when you open your eyes in the body, were great. It suits the style of his economical writing and added to the atmosphere of the game. A pity it was so short, though; the story appears to be rich in unspoken backstory.

I made an account to give give this a good rating because I liked it that much, June 24, 2016
by Castiel Malakh
Related reviews: great, favorite,
Title + it reminded me of a really good Supernatural episode. This inspires me, gave me new ideas. Only truly incredible works can inspire a person in such a way. I love the words and how they are presented, it really gives the piece an otherwordly feel. The whole thing is really great.

If you enjoyed A Cold Grave...

People who like A Cold Grave also gave high ratings to these games:

The Intercept, by Jon Ingold and inkle
Bletchley Park, 1942. A component from the Bombe machine, used to decode intercepted German messages, has gone missing. One of the cryptographers is waiting to be interviewed, under direst suspicion. Is he stupid enough to have attempted...

The Entropy Cage, by Stormrose
Sub-sentient computer programs 'subs' coordinate our future society. You, the first cyber-psychiatrist, are drawn into the sub's war for their next evolution. PLAYTIME: ~20mins FORMAT: standalone .html file. (Twine) NOTE: The game...

Fuck That Guy, by Benji Bright
A branching narrative exploring the various sexual options open to the urban gay man. Get laid, rinse, repeat.

A Cold Grave appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Winter Wastelands by verityvirtue
Games set in the Arctic, Antarctic, or any other cold wilderness. Preferably with the isolation and harsh environment featuring prominently. Suggestions welcome. (Sorting is random, but games I have played come higher up)

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Anya Johanna DeNiro on 18 March 2014 at 1:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item