uux.gam

Unnkulia X

by Valentine Kopteltsev profile

2000

"The Great Master of your village speaks:

"My people, the Demons of Unnkulia are back again! And they demand a human sacrifice, unless we want our nice Vilefen to be wiped off the Earth's surface!"

The crowd buzzes, some shouts are heard. But after a long discussion, the villagers decide that since you, Joan Fleaumont, are an orphan, you are optimal for the purposes of sacrificing. Of course, they don't ask YOUR opinion on the matter. In great haste, they tie you up and throw you into a cell. You are left there while they prepare to burn you alive as a sacrifice to the Demons of Unnkulia.

Will you be able to escape your fate and (possibly) save your village from the dreadful Demons?" [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

IFIDs:  TADS2-0227D490F94B35DF0D6A1F6A63D6730F
TADS2-48F0E279D140BD65463AC470DDFDDF4D
TUID: 53nen8arznl9bstx

27th Place - 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000)

As a traditional type text adventure this didn't rate well in the IF Competition, however, it is a fun puzzle-oriented game for those who like this type of thing. It was probably a little large for the time limit imposed by the Competition.
-- Dorothy Millard

Yes, it's fairly well done, implemented with care and only a few lapses in English. (There's a lot of unfamiliar diction, which I assume is attributable to the author's first language being something other than English, but most of these alien word choices are rather refreshing instead of jarring.) Of course, I only got 60 points out of 300 after two hours, so these assessments are based on what I have to assume is the first fifth or so of the game. If it were the whole game, I'd probably give it about a 9. Considering it's a fifth of the game, I think that works out to about a...

Rating: 1.8

A juvenile riff on the already juvenile Unnkulia games, July 10, 2017
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
The Unnkulia games filled the gap between the end of Infocom/Magnetic Scrolls and the beginning of Inform. They were juvenile, focused on 'bro' type humor, misogyny, and underclued puzzles.

This game manages to ampmlify all of that. It suffers from several problems, including an overly large scope. Every location has several paragraphs of text, frequently a whole page. The puzzles use moon-logic where it's very hard to know what will happen next.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 27 March 2013 at 4:19am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item