apocalypse.z5

by GlorbWare

2006

IFID: ZCODE-1-060801-9DC1
TUID: 3dpk8ziq49pwvik2

31st Place - 12th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2006)

I feel that if you can somehow see past the unpolished writing, the under-implemented features, the badly implemented features, the almost tediously simple and cliched puzzles - if you can somehow see past all that then there's the kernel of amusing, witty, creative, small, game here. Humor is always tricky, but I find the author's style pretty funny. The writing is raw, and it could definitely do with a steadying influence from time to time. Beta-testing, really any sort of testing, would definitely be an improvement. [...]

I would be very intrigued to see the author produce a work with more craft applied to it, I feel there's a raw wit and imagination that could be successfully harnessed. Please let's have Sara the cat in the next game too.
-- David Jones

A goofy but enjoyable parser game on a timer about an apocalypse, May 18, 2016
I don't usually like super goofy games, but this one combines silliness with some earnestness and good descriptions. You play a conspiracy theorist with a talking British cat. Your house is small, with important objects clearly marked in descriptions, and only a few secrets.

This game has a timer of about 75 turns, displayed every turn. In this case, the timer served as a reassurance to me that the game would be small and solvable in a few turns. Unlike most timers, this one improved the game experience.

There were some typos, but I found this to be a better experience overall than I expected. Most people would probably find this game to be a 2-3 star experience.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 7 April 2013 at 4:41pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item