parrots.t3
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.
README.txt

Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus

by Dan Shiovitz profile and Emily Short profile

Superhero/Espionage/Humor/Science Fiction
2003

Someplace on Venus a secret weapon is being built that threatens Earth with total destruction. You and your comrade must penetrate the Xavian base and save the world -- before it's too late!

Language: English (en-US)
Baf's Guide ID: 2096
IFID: TADS3-B481AD7660237F9045D284E9B737D8CF
TUID: 38iqpon2ekeryjcs

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2003 XYZZY Awards

Winner - Spring Thing 2003

In the end the bugs wore me down and I come away from the game somewhat dissatisfied, despite some great writing which I found quite witty, a pair of appealing characters, and some interesting puzzles. I suspect that the game's length (7 hours of play for me on my first time through as Doris) meant that the quality suffered. The bug-finding and bug-fixing will have been spread more thinly. If I had taken a less thorough look then I suspect that I would have come away happier. So that's what I recommend to you. Play it, have a laugh, read the walkthrough early, and don't poke around too much. You'll have fun.
-- David Jones

Home of the Underdogs

With a spot-on comic-book atmosphere, wonderful sense of humor, and well-designed characters and plot, Max Blaster is a fun competition-sized game that should appeal to every superhero fan. Two thumbs up!

A long two-character James Bond/Superhero game, February 3, 2016
This is a complex and interesting game. It contains a number of movie-like cut scenes and text effects. You play Max Blaster (with a gun and fancy force generator) or Doris de Lightning (an acrobatic hacker with special tools) as you stop the parrot creatures from attacking the earth.

You can switch between the characters whenever they are together, which is good if one path is harder than the other (twice, there was a seeming bug which rendered the game unfinishable, but I went back to my last save when they were together and switched to the other person). (Spoiler - click to show)One bug was that a key step in the sandwich machine did not work. The other bug is that I could not getup of the mud as Doris. In both cases, I was following the walkthrough when the problems happened.

The writing is fun, and the game was nominated for an XYZZY award for it. Overall, I can strongly recommend it.

If you enjoyed Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus...

People who like Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus also gave high ratings to these games:

I-0, by Anonymous
Stranded on Interstate Zero after your car broke down, you are miles away from the last sign of civilization. It's twenty minutes to noon and the temperature is well over 120F. It's beginning to look like you won't make it to your...

TimeQuest, by Bob Bates
You are a private in an organization called the Temporal Corps. As the game begins, a general calls you into his office, explaining that a Corps lieutenant has apparently conceived the insane notion of going back in time to deliberately...

Zork Zero, by Steve Meretzky
The Great Underground Empire is in its heyday. Upscale condos crowd the massive caverns. Subterranean highways stretch from Aragain to the Fublio Valley. And no adventurer has yet set foot in the open field west of the white house. But...

Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best superhero games by MathBrush
These are games featuring superheros, with my thoughts on them. I haven't tried the Frenetic Five games yet.

Active Non-player Characters by Emily Short
Games which make use of non-player characters that have a great deal of independence, often moving around and acting on their own, or taking the lead in conversation. Some of these are more successful than others, but all are likely to...

The following polls include votes for Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus:

"Camp" Games by Pinstripe
Games which have, or might be considered to have, a camp aesthetic or sense of humor. "Camp is a certain mode of aestheticism. It is one way of seeing the world as an aesthetic phenomenon. That way, the way of Camp, is not in terms of...

AI developments, particularly NPC-AI by breslin
Doesn't need to be satisfying as a conventional game, but must be interesting as an experiment. The idea being that AI work in IF is something that still needs work. Name the games you think which are contributing to this area of genre...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 7 April 2017 at 8:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item