parrots.t3
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.
README.txt

Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus

by Dan Shiovitz profile and Emily Short profile

Superhero/Espionage/Humor/Science Fiction
2003

Someplace on Venus a secret weapon is being built that threatens Earth with total destruction. You and your comrade must penetrate the Xavian base and save the world -- before it's too late!

Language: English (en-US)
Baf's Guide ID: 2096
IFID: TADS3-B481AD7660237F9045D284E9B737D8CF
TUID: 38iqpon2ekeryjcs

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2003 XYZZY Awards

Winner - Spring Thing 2003

In the end the bugs wore me down and I come away from the game somewhat dissatisfied, despite some great writing which I found quite witty, a pair of appealing characters, and some interesting puzzles. I suspect that the game's length (7 hours of play for me on my first time through as Doris) meant that the quality suffered. The bug-finding and bug-fixing will have been spread more thinly. If I had taken a less thorough look then I suspect that I would have come away happier. So that's what I recommend to you. Play it, have a laugh, read the walkthrough early, and don't poke around too much. You'll have fun.
-- David Jones

Home of the Underdogs

With a spot-on comic-book atmosphere, wonderful sense of humor, and well-designed characters and plot, Max Blaster is a fun competition-sized game that should appeal to every superhero fan. Two thumbs up!

A long two-character James Bond/Superhero game, February 3, 2016
This is a complex and interesting game. It contains a number of movie-like cut scenes and text effects. You play Max Blaster (with a gun and fancy force generator) or Doris de Lightning (an acrobatic hacker with special tools) as you stop the parrot creatures from attacking the earth.

You can switch between the characters whenever they are together, which is good if one path is harder than the other (twice, there was a seeming bug which rendered the game unfinishable, but I went back to my last save when they were together and switched to the other person). (Spoiler - click to show)One bug was that a key step in the sandwich machine did not work. The other bug is that I could not getup of the mud as Doris. In both cases, I was following the walkthrough when the problems happened.

The writing is fun, and the game was nominated for an XYZZY award for it. Overall, I can strongly recommend it.

If you enjoyed Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus...

People who like Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus also gave high ratings to these games:

Lost New York, by Neil deMause
"They say you can never get to know the true New York as a tourist -- but this is going to turn out to be no ordinary vacation. What you thought would be a quick jaunt to the usual tourist traps instead uncovers an odd find that sends...

Indigo, by Emily Short
"Years ago, a witch placed you in this tower and arranged for your upkeep, paying certain villagers well to keep you supplied with the most basic necessities, and no more. Your years in the tower have changed you. You are more or less a...

Pirate's Plunder!, by Tiberius Thingamus
In this game, it be yer goal to findeth ye olde, cursed treasure on Loot Island and taketh it fer yer own. Not even that evil Captain Hookhead can stoppeth ye once ye put ye mind to it. Know why? If ye guessed "Because I'm a pirate," yer...

Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best superhero games by MathBrush
These are games featuring superheros, with my thoughts on them. I haven't tried the Frenetic Five games yet.

Active Non-player Characters by Emily Short
Games which make use of non-player characters that have a great deal of independence, often moving around and acting on their own, or taking the lead in conversation. Some of these are more successful than others, but all are likely to...

The following polls include votes for Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus:

AI developments, particularly NPC-AI by breslin
Doesn't need to be satisfying as a conventional game, but must be interesting as an experiment. The idea being that AI work in IF is something that still needs work. Name the games you think which are contributing to this area of genre...

"Camp" Games by Pinstripe
Games which have, or might be considered to have, a camp aesthetic or sense of humor. "Camp is a certain mode of aestheticism. It is one way of seeing the world as an aesthetic phenomenon. That way, the way of Camp, is not in terms of...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 7 April 2017 at 8:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item