Life On Mars?

by Hugo Labrande profile

La première mission pour coloniser Mars s'est soldée par un crash horrible, et vous avez miraculeusement survécu... Maintenant, il ne vous reste plus qu'à attendre que la deuxième navette arrive. Plus que cinq mois...

Language: French (fr)
First Publication Date: January 10, 2014
TUID: 35yqdqy3ennlte69

Translated to English in Life On Mars?, by Hugo Labrande

Winner - French Comp 2013

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Great at revealing backstory, and very immersive, February 2, 2014
I really enjoyed Life on Mars?, and found it to be a surprisingly immersive experience, even though it's not a terribly interactive game. This sounds counter-intuitive, perhaps, but because of the situation the PC is in, the approach felt very appropriate and was executed very well. I was less keen on the later game, but feel that this game is definitely worth playing for its somewhat novel approach to revealing backstory. Clearly the author put a lot of effort into this, and it paid off with a haunting experience that generates a great sense of empathy in the player.

Puzzleless, but immersive and with a excellent ending, August 5, 2016
(A full review in French is available here)

You'll spend a lot of time reading in this game, in fact there is almost nothing to do except reading the e-mails of the protagonist. The e-mail system is however well implemented, with the text appearing in real-time. Some might not like it (in fact I don't like when I cannot read at my own pace either), but it wasn't troublesome here because it really helped immersion.

And the game is immersive indeed. The state of mind of the protagonist is well retranscribed and you can feel her feelings. The game is well written too.

I found the end really amazing, though I cannot explain why without spoiling. If you like a game with a good atmosphere, you'll like this game. If you prefer "real" games, you should still give it a try, but you'll like it less.

Excellent mood, but crippled by autoscrolling text, May 25, 2015
by flap
Related reviews: French
That piece of fiction is in french. So, be warned !
The atmosphhere is gloomy and excellent. The story telling, and the ways background information is distilled, create a believable main character, which is deep rooted in our decade's preoccupations.

Unfortunately, its main narrative innovation is also its biggest flaw :
There is an intensive use of auto scrolling text, creating a special connection to the main character and breathing much life into the game. However, it often scrolls way too quick to allow reading the text. It went to the point, that I felt I had entirely missed the ending...

This technical flaw would be easy to fix, but has been a big setback to my playing experience.

If you enjoyed Life On Mars?...

People who like Life On Mars? also gave high ratings to these games:

Les espions ne meurent jamais, by Hugo Labrande
You, Randolf McHifflin, have managed to capture your archnemesis, the famous English spy James Powers. He's tied up in front of you, and you just have to kill him, by any mean you can find in this room. But be careful, because as they...

The Role of Music in Your Life, by Five Dials
What is it? It's a questionnaire. But don't ask too many questions. The subject is music. That's about all you need to know.

The Price of Magik, by Pete Austin, Nick Austin, Mike Austin, and James Horsler
The dying light of the Red Moon has been captured in a crystal by the magicians of Baskalos to act as the last repository of magik. Its guardian for many years has been Myglar, a wise and respected sorcerer. But unbeknownst to the other...

The following polls include votes for Life On Mars?:

Good sci-fi games by IFDent
I'm looking for a good science fiction game (sci-fi game) for example, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom. Can't get enough sci-fi text adventures.

This is version 10 of this page, edited by dutchmule on 1 October 2015 at 2:37pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item