Clusterflux

by Marshal Tenner Winter profile

Weird Mystery

You have a new pet but it happens to be a talking mongoose. You have a new friend but she seems to have come from another place and time. And you have fun housemates but some of them have dropped off the face of the earth. Things have been kind of weird around here lately.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: B69D21EB-FAB0-40C0-8449-E8E0DD3E5E68
TUID: r5d6phjstyp3rgex

Deeply satisfactory weird mystery, October 8, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
Clusterflux is truly an ambitious project, and a much larger game than initial appearances would suggest. Itís actually impressively huge, especially considering itís a one-author game. Described as a ďweird mysteryĒ, itís also right up my alley, and I enjoyed it immensely. It did, however, take me six hours to get through it and had to consult the walkthrough twice. I think it would be hard for most to finish in under two hours, though the first two hours were just as enjoyable as the rest. Well, perhaps apart from the half-hour I spent banging my head against a specific puzzle.

In general terms, I would like to describe Clusterflux as a modern self-conscious style puzzle IF, where an everyday protagonist enters absurdity as if it were the most natural thing in the world Ė not too dissimilar to Bill Lindsayís excellent Bullhockey games.

While the plot is more than sold enough, and its absurdity intriguing, the puzzles are what makes this a great game. They are always clever, but generally not too clever, and solving them provides proper satisfaction. I was planning to stop after two hours, but this is the kind of game I canít put down until I have finished it.

With a game as big and ambitious as Clusterflux, there will likely be several small bugs persevering even rigorous beta-testing and I did meet a few of these. Still, it is impressive how polished it is, with thorough descriptions for almost everything. The large gallery of autonomous NPCs made certain scenes a bit confusing, but useful conversations are limited by a topic list which made it manageable.

A tremendous amount of work has gone into this game and Iím immensely grateful for it.

A typical MTW game with cool settings, October 24, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
MTW tends to make games that have similar strengths and similar weaknesses.

Pros:
-Large casts of interesting characters that talk to you and follow you around
-Big maps and inventories
-Compelling plot points and settings

Cons:
-Only one path is implemented
-Difficult to predict correct paths
-Typos and bugs

This game is no exception. A mysterious mongoose/cat and a mysterious woman come into your life, and you investigate a weird house with links to the past.

I used the walkthrough because, from experience, it's difficult to play a MTW game without one.

Edit: For some more specific feedback on this game:

(Spoiler - click to show)Consider the following exchange when meeting the first human NPC:
>talk to woman
That's not a verb I recognise.

sleeping young woman doesn't have anything useful to say about that.

This is a game filled with NPCs. It takes only 5 minutes to put in a response to TALK TO WOMAN that suggests using ASK/TELL instead. The capitalization and/or article usage for "sleeping young woman" is harder but is doable.

The default responses for many simple verbs like JUMP, PUSH, and EAT have all been left in.

Error messages make up the bulk of text you see when playing a parser game, and they need a lot of work here.

If you enjoyed Clusterflux...

People who like Clusterflux also gave high ratings to these games:

Best Gopher Ever, by Arthur DiBianca
Help the unfortunate residents of Fairview! (Who are all animals, by the way.) A light puzzle game for all ages.

Grandma Bethlinda's Variety Box, by Arthur DiBianca
It's the latest model, and it would really like to play with you.

The Wand, by Arthur DiBianca
Explore the wizard Bartholloco's castle with the help of a versatile magic wand. Can you overcome his challenge? Can you levitate a rock? Can you slice a baltavakia? (Puzzle-oriented and family friendly.)

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Marshal Tenner Winter on 11 November 2019 at 3:13pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item