Masquerade

- Laney Berry, September 27, 2018

- Wanderlust, August 3, 2017

- Ayize, March 19, 2017

- Mona Mae (South Africa), February 14, 2017

Shortish 1800's romance game with many endings and few puzzles, February 3, 2016

This game was nominated for an xyzzy award for Best Story when it came out, and I agree that the story is excellent.

You are an independent young woman trying to run a business but running into trouble due to the male-dominated society. You encounter a few suitors while trying to save your business.

The puzzles are fairly light, until the ending. Then it branches into a lot of endings. I found 6 endings and it was hard to tell what made me get them.

Also, the game is pretty short, about 20 to 30 minutes.

Overall, a pleasant game, especially for those interested in romance games.

- Veraloo, January 20, 2016

- Julia Myer (USA), July 8, 2015

- Thrax, March 11, 2015

- hoopla, February 15, 2015

- Katrisa (Houston), October 30, 2013

- Shadow Fox (Texas), April 17, 2013

"Masquerade" is an excellent work of story-based IF in a little-used genre (romance, specifically, Civil-War era romance). It is perhaps the most immersive game I've played yet this year. When I started playing, my mind was still spinning with outside thoughts and residual stress. Soon, I became utterly engrossed in the well-sketched gameworld and all else faded to black.
-- Suzanne Britton

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

It's interesting. I'm not a big romance story fan, but I am a fan of historical romance... perhaps because I'm a big fan of historical -anything-. And this story is set in a period that I find fascinating. So right from the start, I was interested.

But it wouldn't have held if the game wasn't so extremely well constructed....

-- Tina Sikorski

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

[This review is based on the competition release.]

Between the bugs and my inability to get anywhere with the puzzles (or even find them), I didn't enjoy Masquerade nearly as much as I wanted to. If you haven't played it yet, wait for the next release -- the author has always shown a strong commitment to fixing problems, so I've no doubt there will be one. Once the bugs have been fixed and better hints are available, Masquerade will have a great deal to offer fans of genre romance. In this incarnation, though, I'm afraid it was a bit of a disappointment.

- E.K., May 29, 2012

- Sam Kabo Ashwell (Seattle), April 16, 2012

- neonlaurel (Vancouver/Houston), May 12, 2011

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), April 13, 2011

- Guenni (At home), February 19, 2011

Very fun!, January 19, 2011
by Pip
Related reviews: romance love
I'm not at all an expert on interactive fiction - this was the very first game I have played - but all the same I felt that this was created very well. It was fun to play, and easy too, except for the puzzle at the beginning. I gave up out of frustration the first time I tried, unable to get past Simon at the door at the very beginning. But the second time I tried I got it, and was able to play through the game. The only thing I would critique about the game is that it's not very easy to actually CHOOSE what happens in the end, but I suppose that is because the main character already has a very set personality, which doesn't give in well to some of the player's choices.

- Juleske, July 20, 2010

- Sorrel, July 5, 2010

Ticket to Frustration, July 4, 2010
by AmberShards (The Gothic South)
I'm not really sure why this game generates the kind of praise it does. Then again, I'm mystified why Shadows on the Mirror and Violet did as well. Masquerade is a lot like Shadows in the sense that if you don't read the author's mind, you'll never make it anywhere in the game. Unlike that game, however, Masquerade mercifully doesn't keep the torment going. If you decide to leave the first room (I was thinking that I'd come back later or maybe look for a side entrance), BOOM, game over. I was shocked and angry, but chastened.

So I tried again, this time using a little more patience. After five minutes of guess-the-verb, I concluded that I'd need a walkthrough to get past the first puzzle. As a rule, I loathe walkthroughs, but I absolutely will not use one for the first puzzle. Why is it that IF romances are all such tortures?

What I saw of the game balanced out its sparkling prose and interesting PC with a horrifically frustrating gameplay. I don't know if the rest of Masquerade is just as vexing, but I didn't want to find out.

- Softbagel, February 12, 2010