Play online

Stand Up / Stay Silent

by Y Ceffyl Gwyn

2020

The revolution begins with you.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
License: Creative Commons
IFID: F75B8276-C78F-4342-9879-949C964245B7
TUID: zsvgdb4lp2gg4ks1

Entrant - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Sci-fi story with racial injustice allegory, October 19, 2020
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
As part of my career I teach (and learn) racial equity and antiracism and was hoping at least one game in this year's competition would address it. Stand Up/Stay Silent addresses it through an allegorical piece that takes place on a future Mars colony. I was reminded a bit of Blade Runner while playing.

I kind of wish this had addressed today's racism and political environment head on, though this could be traumatic for BIPOC players so it was probably wise to make it allegorical. That said, the game simply wasn't long enough to build this cyberpunk setting, and I was often left deciphering terminology instead of being in the moment with these characters.

I appreciate the choices offered throughout the game and the acknowledgment that being antiracist can take many forms in addition to direct protest. I also appreciate it addressing that there is no middle ground; you're either for or against.

A modern day protest song, in IF form, October 3, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
I've always thought that politics transmits better through art than through screaming or Twitter fights. I believe that is what the author is trying to do here. As I'm writing this review "Fortunate Son" by CCR is playing in the back of my brain.

This is a game where you are given the same choice (mostly) several times during the story: Stand Up or Stay Silent. You play someone thrust into the middle of a revolution, whether you like it or not, and the time has come to make your choice.

One of my complaints about the game is that you are given no context or information about the cultural pivot point that your society is in at the beginning of the game, so that you really have no idea how to make that first choice. Rather, it starts out feeling like a completely different type of story. I recommend playing through it several times, since after your first playthrough you have more context to better explore your options. There are multiple endings so you can try to navigate your way to each one.

Also, the sci-fi setting sometimes gets in the way. I understand why the author made that choice, but I think given the purpose of this piece that some of the details could be left on the cutting room floor so as not to distract from the ultimate point.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Zape on 10 October 2020 at 11:51am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item