my own paper walls

by fia glas

Tara is an introverted girl who shares an interest in horror and the paranormal with her friend Becca. Unfortunately for them, they live in a painfully boring small town in the Pacific Northwest. The only place that has any chance of being remotely creepy is the middle school that was decommissioned a few years ago. Becca convinces Tara to join her and some others she knows from the internet to spend the night there.

First Publication Date: October 8, 2018
Current Version: 1.F
IFID: B25F5EE2-CBB5-44AB-996B-14AF6646C479
TUID: zju4zd3seciobkch

Entrant, Le Grand Guignol - EctoComp 2018

A horror game set in an abandoned school, November 6, 2018
I was impressed and a bit frustrated by this game.

The bad: the text is a bit hard to read. I had to bulk up the page size a bunch before being able to see the fancy-font white on black text. Also, possibly due to the font, I felt weirdly discombobulated while playing and had trouble focusing.

The good: this is a genuinely engaging tale about a girl and her friend meeting up with three guys to explore a haunted school. The true horror is in the relationships here; I had several honestly surprising and unsettling experiences with people in the game that wasn't based on supernatural horror at all.

I actually feel like I love this game, but I wish it were easier to read and didn't have that sort of vague procedurally generated feel (it's not actually procedurally generated, but it has multiple paths, so some of the text is vague to suit several scenarios). I want to play this again.

If you enjoyed my own paper walls...