fin de sickleburg

by Caleb Wilson profile

It is nearly dawn, and at last you've come back to your chamber.

Written for Gothic Novel Jam 2018 (https://itch.io/jam/gothic-novel-jam).

First Publication Date: July 30, 2018
IFID: 79C47EF2-087D-41FB-9D6C-B256F82F8CE0
TUID: z4jg7vwyz6nmmpg

Bite-Sized Gothic Horror, June 21, 2020
by J. J. Guest (London, England)
Fin de Sickleburg is very short one-room game by Caleb Wilson, author of Lime Ergot. It's so short, in fact, that to say anything about the subject matter would be to give too much away. This one has multiple endings and a limited verb set, which means that you have to get quite creative with the way you use the commands to find all three endings. The writing is well-crafted, creepy and atmospheric, and very fitting for the Gothic horror genre. Each of the three endings reveals a little more about the player character and the game world, so it's well worth making the effort to find them all. It took me less than ten minutes. Good fun if you're a fan of Gothic horror and have a few minutes to spare.

If you enjoyed fin de sickleburg...

People who like fin de sickleburg also gave high ratings to these games:

Tales from Castle Balderstone, by Ryan Veeder
An anthology of terror, edited by Ryan Veeder. Also an ECTOCOMP 2018 entry.

The Space Under the Window, by Andrew Plotkin
A new, experimental game that has no puzzles but uses only words that change your focus on things, thereby adapting the story. [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

If I Wasn't Shy, by Joey Jones
"I kinda just sit at the checkout, and the place isn't even all that busy. So why'd you want to play a game about my life? I mean, it's not terrible but it would be so much more if I wasn't shy." (Part of Apollo 18+20: The IF Tribute...

The following polls include votes for fin de sickleburg:

Games that could use more reviews by MathBrush
I love to review games. Let me know if you've made a game that needs more reviews, or can suggest someone else's! I might not be personally able to review every game due to time, content, or platform, but I'll try!

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Caleb Wilson on 16 August 2018 at 3:36pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item