Dynamite Powers vs. the Ray of Night!

by Mike Carletta profile

Space Adventure

Dynamite Powers and Rosalind have escaped the Chinese water torture on Lord Infamy's dirigible. With the help of their new friend, Melcor, they led the revolt of the singing monkeys of Melodion and toppled Infamy's oppressive regime.

Now the trio has learned the location of Lord Infamy's superweapon, the Ray of Night -- Mars! As Dynamite infiltrates the mysterious Martian base, he is ambushed by henchmen with paralyzing gas!

We rejoin Dynamite as he awakens in a new deathtrap…

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
License: Creative Commons
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFID: FB1AA2C4-F716-417E-AABE-C8F3DE44DAE3
TUID: z0ll5j2z6vlpqx4g

25th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

IF Comprehensive
A clever, charming game I’d happily recommend to anyone
There are three puzzles to the game: a standard adventure-style inventory and set-piece puzzle; a puzzle that’s almost a logic problem; and a puzzle involving understanding the color mechanic in the game. The idea of a “black-and-white” text-adventure in the latter is brilliant, and the puzzle surrounding it is creative.

Patrick Brian Mooney
Good energetic comic-book adventure writing with lots of zip and zowie
There's a lot of the feeling of Leather Goddesses of Phobos in the writing here, I think; the game as a whole really does seem to channel Steve Meretzky's cocked-hat approach to SF-based IF and his sense of wry humor pretty well, especially at the beginning.

The Good Old Days
A very pulpy sci-fi space adventure
The exclamation mark in the title says it all…
+ Pitch perfect pulp prose: It gets no cheesier (in a good way!) as this
+ Mad science! With death rays, transmutation machines and deathtraps
+ Excellent cover art, looks like the real thing
+/- Brutally tricky brain-teasers: Some very hard puzzles that take careful observation, thinking and planning
- Colour puzzles in a black and white medium = tedium
- It is very likely that you will land in several dead man walking scenarios
= *melodramatic voice* Who can help Dynamite Powers stop the sinister Lord Infamous?

McT's Interactive Fiction Reviews
Oh, the game is entirely unfair. On purpose. I died frequently.
The text is tight and very well written and is pitched perfectly for the era it parodies. Cleverly, the game even acknowledges the fact that it is black and white – but then it takes this a step further and incorporates that fact into its main puzzle.

Tough, fun puzzler with a well-drawn setting, November 20, 2018
Playing Dynamite Powers vs. the Ray of Night! made me feel like I'd been dropped into the middle of a text adventure version of one of those old space opera radio serials from the 1930s, like Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon. The game does a great job of immersing you in this setting from the very beginning, with its cover art, the opening scene featuring the titular hero trying to escape yet another deathtrap, and the game billing itself as Episode 7. There are also some classic IF references and even a Looney Tunes reference.

Gameplay is fairly linear and entails solving a sequence of challenging puzzles. There are only a few such puzzles, but they're all rather intricate and require multiple steps. It took me about two and a half hours to play through the game, which included two instances of diving into the hint system.

Said hint system is a helpful feature, too. Each of the major sections of the game has a large number of hints that you can slowly uncover until you learn what you need to do. I was able to keep uncovering hints until I had just the right nudge to send me back to the game without spoiling the puzzle.

There is some learning-by-death involved, which I'm not normally a fan of. However, the puzzle that features this most strongly - the second major puzzle in the game - is quite clever, and I really, really like it. In fact, I'd say it's my favorite individual puzzle out of all of this year's IFComp games.

The game is also cruel on the Zarfian scale, although outside of the learning-by-death puzzle I noticed this mostly with respect to some information that you need. Thus if you can acquire this information some other way you don't actually have to restore to an earlier save game.

The last major puzzle is particularly challenging. Again, though, the hint system is strong enough that I was able to uncover just what I needed to proceed while still coming away with the feeling that I had solved most of it myself.

The final scene is a pretty much perfect ending to the game.

Overall, I enjoyed Dynamite Powers vs. the Ray of Night!. It's got a fun setting and some challenging puzzles that I enjoyed thinking through. It was also in my personal top ten for IFComp 2018. I'll definitely be tuning in next time for Episode 8!

If you enjoyed Dynamite Powers vs. the Ray of Night!...

People who like Dynamite Powers vs. the Ray of Night! also gave high ratings to these games:

The Axe of Kolt, by Larry Horsfield
You are a penniless ex-mercenary soldier, reduced to wandering the land and doing odd-jobs in return for food and a place to sleep. You have just left the town of Greenwych and you have hitched a ride on a haywain. The driver tells you...

Arcane Intern (Unpaid), by Astrid Dalmady
Getting coffee, making copies, tampering with powers beyond your control. You know, normal intern things. Now if only you were getting paid for it...

Winter Wonderland, by Laura Knauth
"Young Gretchen could have only imagined the fanciful events that were to occur before finding herself lost in a winter wonderland." [--blurb from Competition '99]

Dynamite Powers vs. the Ray of Night! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Mike Carletta on 18 November 2018 at 9:14am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item