Do I Date?

by Aurora Kakizaki

A dating simulator to raise awareness for mental disorders.

First Publication Date: April 4, 2019
TUID: yllpno6rc62hxf5

Audience Choice--Best Art, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2019

An incomplete demo of a dating game related to mental illness, April 5, 2019
This game is incomplete, which is why I've given it a lower rating for now.

This is a dating simulator visual novel. This is a genre which I'm not very familiar with, but this game seems to follow many of the tropes.

You play an office worker who encounters five women, each with differente mental disorders. You have the choice to date any of them and learn more about them.

Only one of the women is implemented right now, and that one is incomplete.

The writing was fairly descriptive and the women are all very different. I was surprised by the heavy focus on physical appearance (the male gaze, or lesbian gaze, depending on how you think of your main character). The one path we see has the character eager to please us, and us eager to comment on them.

I think this is normal for dating games (as far as I know), so the main content of interest is the mental illness. It's hard to tell how exactly this will be handled in the full game, but so far it seems to be trying to raise awareness of mental illness in healthy ways. As long as it doesn't end up with the character 'curing' one of the women I think it will be okay!

This is version 1 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 5 April 2019 at 1:59pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item