b2demo.z5

Pick Up The Phone Booth And Die 2

by Rob Noyes

Joke
1996

Same phone booth, different problem... this one will not be so easily destroyed. This is a demo version of "Pick up the Phone Booth and Die part 2."
[--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

IFID: ZCODE-2-961017-199E
TUID: yk81lyb64utk4sa4

Sequel to Pick Up The Phone Booth And Die, by Rob Noyes

A lot closer to being IF than the original Pick Up The Phone Booth And Die -- there are multiple locations, more than one manipulable object, and more of a plot (you now have to vandalize the phone booth before you can destroy it). This looks like it might be at least a three star game, possibly four. Unfortunately, all we have of the game is a five-location demo, and it's been four years since that was released. So it's still not rateable!

-- R. Serena Wakefield

Hmm, November 3, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
How do you make that trombone sound they play in sitcoms for disappointment? That (wow wow wow woooooow) sound? I heard that playing in my head for this game.

This game would have been fine in and of itself. The problem is that it's a sequel to a one shot joke game. As such, I had certain expectations. Yeah, you pick it up, or push it, or pull it. But soon I found that I had an inventory, and there were other rooms to explore, and suddenly the whole game got very big. Much bigger than a joke game ever needs to be.

What would Zork: A troll's eye view, be if you could leave the troll room?
What 9:05 be if you could (Spoiler - click to show) not kill that guy ?

The only thing I could conclude is that this is NOT a joke game, but a light humor puzzle game, and that's fine, but it's very misleading as a sequel to Pick up the Phone Booth and Die.

I'm sure the game ends up being okay, but I just couldn't concentrate. It's like taking a one line joke, and making it into a long drawn out story to get to the same punch-line. Some jokes need to be one-liners.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 3 February 2013 at 5:15pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item