Swan Hill

- Hannah Powell-Smith, November 4, 2016

- Brendan Patrick Hennessy (Toronto, Ontario), April 24, 2016

- dream, April 10, 2016

A somewhat long Twine game about a chancellor and a duke, February 3, 2016

This game is one of the most well-regarded Twine games available, as demonstrated by its listing on the IFDB Top 100 as of 2016.

In this game, you play as a chancellor of a university, brother to a Duke. The setting is not historical England, though there are similarities.

The game is serious, and focuses on your relationship with your brother. You remember your past, learn about his present activities, and make choices about your future.

It's very interesting as a study in relationships, and also as a medieval-esque game.

- medievalfunk, October 14, 2015

- Shayrenn, September 22, 2015

- Harry Coburn (Atlanta, GA), July 28, 2015

- guinevak, April 17, 2015

- CMG (NYC), March 10, 2015

I loved this., November 11, 2014

by Chrysoula
Related reviews: fantasy, brothers
I loved the story, the setting, the sense that I was steering the story while making the subtlest of choices. It was one of the few hypertext games I've played where I felt like there was a reason NOT to click on all of the informative links and I picked that reason up through gameplay.

- sleuthly, April 10, 2014

- Bruno Dias, February 18, 2014

- E.K., December 19, 2013

- Anya Johanna DeNiro (Minnesota), November 14, 2013

Beautiful, melancholy, and evocative., November 14, 2013
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
This is a very simple Twine story with a smidgin of interaction. Usually this type of thing gets boring, but I found this excellently written, and an interesting story about two brothers. One uses magic, and magic causes pain. The more powerful the magic, the more chance it can kill the wielder.

The story isn't about this specifically, but it shadows the relationship and the obliquely subtle plot. This feels like a tiny fragment of a much larger world, and I enjoyed the little glimpse of it that this story gives. I hope this writer has more to show us because the story is achingly lovely and melancholic.