My Name Is

by Spanglypants McFuckyou

A short story about a robot born into a system of abuse.

License: Free
TUID: xxj5zpa28pxuvp82

Upsetting, well-crafted short twine game of exploration, December 17, 2013
This is a well-crafted Twine game, dealing with abuse and otherism, by putting the player in the mindset of a cyborg/robot creature who seems reviled simply by virtue of existence.

The game handles the disorientation and confusion of being someone discriminated against well. The cyborg/robot character hasn't had visual sensors connected, so they can only navigate by touch and a form of echolocation. Yes, it is disorienting as a player, but it is done well. The game is not hard to navigate, but the locations do present a sense of confusion and difficulty, in a very authentic way. I felt like I was trying to get around an unfamiliar house without my glasses--serious kudos on that.

The writing is good. The formatting is an improvement on many Twine games; copy doesn't run too long for the most part, and the use of green, extra line breaks, and shorter sentences help reading. This game could still use some additional formatting tweaks (shorter lines, for instance, larger type) but the author is doing several things well from the start.

This game begins with the beginning; the birth of your character. I found myself curious about who I was, why I was created, and what the world around me was really like. The game answers none of these questions. I suspect the author didn't intend this as world-building, but as a statement on abuse and discrimination. It is very successful as such.

I couldn't help but wish this was a longer, parser-based game. I think it would help the theme and strengthen the story to have objectives and more exploration; I imagine the character learning of a way to get their visuals turned on, and succeeding, in able to explore more of the world.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Leon Arnott on 16 December 2013 at 4:46am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item