Earth and Sky

Previous | << 1 2 3 >> | Next | Show All

- Stian, July 15, 2019

- Robb Sherwin (Colorado), March 6, 2019

Solid beginning effort in a superhero series, October 22, 2018

Very solid, if short, opening chapter to a series in which you play the sister in a brother and sister superhero team. This game is mostly about introducing the story and getting used to the mechanics. I found it all very easy to grasp despite using some new verbs relating to the super powers that I hadn't used in other games. Looking forward to playing the other games in the series.

Not enough fun, August 15, 2018
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
I'm not, in general, a fan of superheroes; but I can be persuaded to like them. I really enjoyed the Lego Batman Movie, for instance, and I thoroughly enjoyed the one superhero comic I've ever read, Watchmen. What those two works have in common is a good story. The Lego Batman Movie's story is of course to some extent silly, but it is about something real -- Batman's solipsistic arrogance -- and it explores that idea in a very coherent way. A story can be funny, even zany, and still make sense.

The story of Earth and Sky makes no sense at all. Little is lost by spoiling it, but I'll put it between spoiler tags nonetheless: (Spoiler - click to show)your aunt comes into contact with an ancient bacteria, which turns her into a gigantic evil monster until you give her antibiotics, after which she not only returns to her normal state but is also freed of some kind of mind control that will probably be explained in the sequel. This is hardly a story at all; it's just a sequence of events between which the authors posits causal links even though none of the usual laws of causation apply. Several other reviewers have likened the plot to that of a B-movie. Perhaps this is accurate; but of course the problem with B-movies is that most of them are bad. ("But they're so bad they're good!" Uh, no.)

Alright, so maybe you're not playing this game for the story; you're playing it for the chance to use some super powers! Nothing wrong with that, actually, and the game certainly provides you some opportunities to do so. But -- and this is my most important complaint about the game -- the time spent doing fun stuff with superpowers is a very small portion of playing the game. You have to slog through too much information and two rather unexciting sequences, and then you're rewarded with exactly one fight, which itself turns out be rather repetitive. There's just not enough fun stuff!

I've heard that the second game delivers much more in this respect, and if so, playing this first game might still be worthwhile. Just don't expect too much of it.

(I replayed this game recently as a preparation for tackling part two, and wasn't happy with the review I penned eight years or so ago. So while my star rating remains unchanged, the above is the new review to go with it.)

- Stas, March 29, 2018

- Aselia, September 6, 2016

- Denk, July 21, 2016

- Matt Bates, June 1, 2016

- Dhary, March 8, 2016

Great B-Movie material. Pretty short, not hard, fun superhero game, February 3, 2016

In Earth and Sky, you play as a woman who discovers superpowers, together with her brother.

There are two times where you use your powers: a training session, and a battle. Before each of these events is a short exposition/exploration segment.

The exposition sections use a menu conversation system with the chance to be normal or to use crazy B-movie dialog.

The plot is silly, but the writing is vivid and you can really imagine what is going on. I think the author was very successful here.

I recommend this game, especially because it is so short that you have nothing to lose by playing it.

- Lisbon, September 27, 2015