The Weight of a Soul

by Chin Kee Yong

In a world of arcane mysteries, a young doctor's apprentice unravels a conspiracy most grim.

Author's Comment: "This is a mystery/suspense parser game inspired by the likes of Anchorhead and Fallen London. It isn't currently finished, but there's a solid vertical slice of finished content that takes close to 2 hours to complete. Please enjoy.

Content warning: This story features graphic imagery and morbid themes."

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
TUID: xsc77fvvd4oz76oz

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2017

A fantasy/medical mystery, June 14, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This game is advertised as being incomplete, but a very large chunk of it is done. Playing it is like playing 'episode 1' of a large series.

The setting is unusual: you are in a large and decaying city where magic and science are blended together. Scalpels and anesthesia blend with goblins and soul magic.

I found the opening to be a bit constraining (which is something I do in my own games, too), but that after that the game was rich and rewarding. Locations have several interactible details, conversations feel natural, and I felt like a real detective.

I enjoyed the large feeling of the city, something difficult to do right in an interactive fiction game. I did get a bit lost from time to time. Locations were unique and vividly described.

I would love to see this finished.

If you enjoyed The Weight of a Soul...