Play Online (Current Build)
Most recent playtest build. Will break when you reach Day 3.
Play Online (Spring Thing 2017)
The build that was submitted to Spring Thing.

The Weight of a Soul

by Chin Kee Yong profile

Mystery

In a world of arcane mysteries, a young doctor's apprentice unravels a conspiracy most grim.

Author's Comment: "This is a mystery/suspense parser game inspired by the likes of Anchorhead and Fallen London. It isn't currently finished, but there's a solid vertical slice of finished content that takes close to 2 hours to complete. Please enjoy.

Content warning: This story features graphic imagery and morbid themes."

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
License: Creative Commons
TUID: xsc77fvvd4oz76oz

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2017

A fantasy/medical mystery, June 14, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This game is advertised as being incomplete, but a very large chunk of it is done. Playing it is like playing 'episode 1' of a large series.

The setting is unusual: you are in a large and decaying city where magic and science are blended together. Scalpels and anesthesia blend with goblins and soul magic.

I found the opening to be a bit constraining (which is something I do in my own games, too), but that after that the game was rich and rewarding. Locations have several interactible details, conversations feel natural, and I felt like a real detective.

I enjoyed the large feeling of the city, something difficult to do right in an interactive fiction game. I did get a bit lost from time to time. Locations were unique and vividly described.

I would love to see this finished.

If you enjoyed The Weight of a Soul...

People who like The Weight of a Soul also gave high ratings to these games:

Absence of Law, by mathbrush
Excuse me, can you help me? Yes, you, browsing IFDB games! I need your assistance, but I don't have long. There's so much going on: remote surveillance, unauthorized cloning, forgotten languages, robots playing poker. It's time to take...

Scary House Amulet!, by Ricardo Dague
You have green hair! Your name is Britney!! Legend says there is a valuable, powerful Amulet in the house, which may be retrieved by anyone who is daring! Do you dare?

The Warlord, The Princess & The Bulldog, by David Whyld

The following polls include votes for The Weight of a Soul:

Games you would like to see finished by Denk
Unfinished games, e.g. IntroComp games, which you would like to see finished. Hopefully, this will encourage authors to finish their games.

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Settings of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Chin Kee Yong on 24 January 2019 at 11:51am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item