Ad Verbum

by Nick Montfort

Humor/Wordplay
2000

Previous | << 1 2 3 4 5 >> | Next | Show All

Exciting English exercises, entertaining enigmas. Expect ennui expunged. Enjoy!, May 9, 2019
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
Like Infocom's Nord & Bert, Montfort created an essentially plot free game for Americans with a love for wordplay. Also similar to its predecessor, there is a built-in hint system that will ensure you don't get stuck.

While I adore Ad Verbum, its best puzzle is easily the first one you're likely to encounter, that being the compass rose rooms. The descriptions and responses to valiant attempts to escape these rooms are some of the wittiest I've seen in interactive fiction. I was delighted when trying to leave the south room when (Spoiler - click to show)"skedaddle" worked. I also rather enjoyed the library room. Like others have mentioned, I was disappointed that several puzzles have very little to do with classic wordplay (and aren't terribly interesting), and the Latin pig understands less than he should.

- elias67, March 12, 2019

- EngineerWolf (India), December 18, 2016

- alexvicegrab, October 28, 2016

- jeffhos, October 13, 2016

- kala (Finland), April 13, 2016

Enchanting word-play game that starts very strong and peters out, February 3, 2016

Ad Verbum was one of the first IF games I played, and still a favorite. In this mid-length, story-lite game, you must collect and throw away various items by using constrained commands (commands that don't use certain letters, commands that only use the top row of the keyboard, repetitive commands, etc.)

The most enjoyable rooms are the rooms where you must use only words starting with a certain letter. The hardest part is trying to leave! How do you exit a room to the north if you have to start all of your commands with s?

The top few levels and the backyard are not quite as fun. And there are some puzzles that are just weird "guess which random object has the random property you need" puzzles.

- branewurms, January 1, 2016