The Unofficial Sea-Monkey(R) Simulation

by B.J. Best

Sometime during 1987, your father comes home from work--late, as usual. He tosses a small box onto the kitchen counter. "Here," he says, "you wanted fish. You get these. Let's see how you do first, and then maybe we'll get a real tank."

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
TUID: wd8hq2633kkaav

18th Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

A polished and well-designed story framed as a simulation, November 16, 2017
I beta tested this IFComp 2017 game.

This is a Twine game framed as a situation (specifically of feeding sea-monkeys), which the actual story is fitted into.

I found the colors and presentation very nice, and the game overall very polished. I did find it frustrating how long it took to reach the final ending, but that was mostly due to time crunch around IFComp. If you have time to play, this is a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Contains infrequent strong profanity.

Strangely familiar, November 13, 2017
A sea-monkey management simulator in Twine. Or is it? Maybe that's just the player's way of distracting themselves from the familial neglect/abuse situation going on around him. There's a good idea here, and that idea is called Ultra Business Tycoon III by Porpentine. Swap a business-sim computer game for a sea-monkey tank as the focus of the player-character kid's attention, and this is virtually the same thing. It's reasonably well-written nevertheless, and I like the meta-narrative explaining the need to replay over and over to get all the endings, but still, Porpentine did it better.

If you enjoyed The Unofficial Sea-Monkey(R) Simulation...

People who like The Unofficial Sea-Monkey(R) Simulation also gave high ratings to these games:

A Day for Soft Food, by Tod Levi
"Ever since the provider's sickness began, he's been all hisses and growls. Even the slightest misstep seems to annoy him. Perhaps that's why your bowl has held nothing but hard food lately. And not much of that." [--blurb from...

Quite Queer Night Near, by Andrew Schultz
Average member rating: (1 rating)
Quite Queer Night Near is a text adventure where you need to escape a small silly nightmare by finding the right rhyming pairs to advance. How will you get beyond the bare bones stair stones and find your freedom? The game is not...

The Skeleton Key of Ambady, by Caelyn Sandel (as Adalai Trammels)
I come through town every dozen years or so. Strangers still seem strange, but I've found work and welcome everywhere I've been. I come and go as I please. Don't waste your worry on me. The Skeleton Key of Ambady was written for Nigel...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by DashT on 4 February 2018 at 6:52pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item