largemac.z5

2001

IFID: ZCODE-1-010905-2ABC
TUID: w4wy7h2jgv6ch13c

A fantastic plaything for a lexically-enhanced cyborg, February 20, 2008
by Michael Martin (Mountain View, California)
This is a (mostly) one-room game that has a single puzzle - escape from the room in which you have inadvertently trapped yourself. This is largely a set-piece to unleash the awe-inspiring power of the Large Machine itself, and to sort out what your various options will provide.

In solving this game I found it necessary to replicate much of its logic in programs of my own to provide a more sensible search space, but even this was not enough, because the items the Large Machine generates can be transformed by other means.

In sum: very silly, incredibly complex (and breakable if you try to make things too degenerate), and probably unsolvable by the unaided human mind. I enjoyed this game a great deal, but I have an unholy love of wordplay. Everyone else, beware - but at least admire it from a safe distance.

A bizarre, long, unfair but fun parody wordplay game, September 24, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
I do everything I can to complete games before I review them. I read walkthroughs, I look up old message boards, and, at last resort, I decompile to get the text.

This game is one of those rare ones (such as Hard Puzzle 2) where decompiling is worthless. In this case, the text of the game is literally split into two interleaving fragments, so that no whole words remain.

You have a huge anagram machine which makes anagrammed words out of anything you put in it. The results can be used, eaten, modified, entered, etc.

There are a lot of rough edges in the implementation, which is part of the overall effect. I don't know of anyone whose solved it. I got very far this time, but I forget how to do all the puzzles I had solved when I tried this last year. I'd love to see a team of people on a forum solve this one.

If you enjoyed Large Machine...

People who like Large Machine also gave high ratings to these games:

Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It, by Jeff O'Neill
You are standing at the edge of a barren field. A steady wind, having secreted away the topsoil, is now drifting sandy dirt across the plain. A scant sign of life here is a freshly-burrowed molehill on the ground. > MAKE A MOUNTAIN OUT...

The Act of Misdirection, by Callico Harrison
The curtain lifts to a torrent of applause, as the city's gents and ladies lose their decorum for a just few moments in anticipation of something magical. The spotlights drown the glitter of sequins and pearls, the metal cane-tops and...

The Lurking Horror, by Dave Lebling
A winter night at the G.U.E. tech campus with most students away on vacation serves as the backdrop for this tale of Lovecraftian horror.

Large Machine appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Word-play games by Emily Short
Games where the text of the game is part of the puzzle.

The following polls include votes for Large Machine:

The absolute hardest non-broken games you've played by MathBrush
After reading Jason Dyer's post on his excellent adventure blog (at bluerenga.wordpress.com) about the hardest adventure ever (which I haven't tried yet, but want to!). Everyone has a game that they've experienced that is just absolutely...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Eriorg on 29 March 2008 at 3:31pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item