Return to the game's main page
Reviews and Ratings
Previous | << 1 2 3 4 >> | Next | Show All
- Ry (Philippines), June 12, 2020
- Zape, April 28, 2020
- Durafen, April 27, 2020
- monkeymind, December 22, 2019
- Zach Shifflett (VA, United States), December 11, 2018
- Pegbiter (Malmö, Sweden), July 26, 2018
- FORN (Dublin, Ireland ), May 18, 2018
- e.peach, December 28, 2017
- nosferatu, July 25, 2017
- jamesb (Lexington, Kentucky), July 12, 2017
- ifMUD_Olly (Montana, USA), April 21, 2017
- Denk, March 15, 2017
- Spike, February 26, 2017
- Lotus Watcher, January 25, 2017
- EngineerWolf (India), December 18, 2016
- Xavid, December 7, 2016
- Christopher Hall (London, Great Britain), October 27, 2016
- NinaS, July 3, 2016
- mr.jones, June 27, 2016
- Matt Bates, April 14, 2016
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:One of Infocom's best; the first game where you memorize and cast spells, February 3, 2016
The main idea of Enchanter, and the entire focus of the game, is the spells. Unlike the wand in Zork II (which is described as unreliable and old-fashioned here), scrolls are copied into your spell book, and then can be cast over and over again.
There are well over a dozen spells. It was designed to give you a feel of more power than in Zork. The things you can do feel amazing.
I got up to about 150 points before consulting a walkthrough. I couldn't solve two key puzzles. One I knew what to do, but wasn't clever enough to figure it how. The other came out of left field, although I later realized that your dreams are a clue to the puzzle.
Which brings me to the one point that may be most divisive: your player's bodily needs. You constantly have to satisfy hunger, thirst, and sleep! You have a replenishable water supply, but you're toast when your food is gone.
I recommend reading the manual on NPC conversations, or one puzzle will be far too difficult.
I played this game on the iOS Lost Treasures of Infocom App.
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
More Options| Add a comment
- Rax (QW’s Hat, Crumpetty Tree), October 15, 2015
- electromancer, July 19, 2015
- dosgamer, April 9, 2015
- Thrax, March 11, 2015