Play online

How The Elephant's Child Who Walked By Himself Got His Wings

by Peter Eastman

2020

This fantasia on Kipling's "Just So Stories" takes you back to the High and Far-Off Times to learn how all things came to be what they are today. Warning: Contains bad poetry.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
TUID: vsdu2ei9fnzicrk7

Entrant - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Well-written homage to Kipling's "Just So Stories", limited interactivity, October 16, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: About 30 minutes
This is a choice-based work (more on the choices later) that takes the form of a paternal figure (I imagine the grandfather-grandson scenes from "A Princess Bride") telling several anthropomorphized-animal origin stories to a child, in the mold of off Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories". Comparatively long sections of text are broken up with the chance to offer the child's response to what he or she has just heard. Sometimes this takes the form of a binary choice, sometimes it is just a piece of hypertext, the choice made for you, to get to the next page. The prose is quite excellent (while the poetry at the end is appropriately bad) and the stories are well-paced and engaging.

If this were the Short Story Database I would rate this four or five stars. But as the I in IF stands for interactive I have to rate it only three. I feel the very few choices offered in this piece mostly serve as a story selector or only end up altering a few paragraphs worth of prose, and so the interactive portion feels a little thin. However, in praise of the work I can offer the following: 1) I will very likely read this to my kids soon as a series of bedtime stories, and 2) it has inspired me to order a copy of Kipling's stories for the same purpose.

Well worth your time as a reader.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 8 October 2020 at 5:15am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item