Play online

Twelve Days, One Night

by B.J. Best

2020

Your true love certainly has an eclectic wish list of Christmas gifts. Can you get all of them ready tonight?

Development System: Adventuron
TUID: vqk9n1slb29k9r6l

Entrant - Adventuron Christmas Jam

A cute Adventuron game about preparing the 12 days of Christmas for your love, December 25, 2020
This game was entered in the Adventuron Christmas game jam.

One of Adventuron's weaknesses is its parser, which, while strong, hasn't caught up to Inform, Dialog and TADS. This game neatly sidesteps that by making it a limited parser game, with the only commands being TAKE, DROP, EXAMINE, and LOOK.

There are only three rooms: a 'hub' room with a Christmas tree, a storage room containing almost all the gifts (including lords and ladies anxiously waiting around), and a kitchen with materials.

The entirety of the interactivity is picking up one item and dropping it in the right spot, hoping it interacts right. Technically, you could just take everything and dump it together (and I admit I took that course occasionally), but it's too tedious to do that without trying to analyze that ahead of time, especially since you have a carrying limit of 3 items (one of the few games where I think that limit enhances gameplay).

The rainbow colors and sound cues were nice.

+Polish: The game is polished;
+Descriptiveness: The descriptions of the gifts is fairly amusing
+Interactivity: This particular setup worked for me
+Emotional impact: It was heart-warming
-Would I play again? It was fun, but was a bit too long for the main gimmick for me.

If you enjoyed Twelve Days, One Night...

People who like Twelve Days, One Night also gave high ratings to these games:

Wolfsmoon, by Marco Innocenti
It is the fifteenth corpse. Among those they found. More than twenty people have disappeared in the last few months. Some say it's a wild animal, stalking the outskirts of town. Some say it's a killer, a new kind of deviated christian,...

Map, by Ade McT
The house is growing. Or perhaps it's you who is shrinking. And with all this extra space is coming....time. Time enough, maybe, to make some changes.

The Eyes That Look Back, by Leno
We are surrounded with faces. The ones of the people around us and the ones we carry with ourselves.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Zape on 22 December 2020 at 4:25pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item