Poppet

by Bitter Karella profile

Dark Fantasy

A ragdoll awakes in an empty house. You're not sure how long you've been asleep. You're not sure where you are. And, worst of all, you're not sure what happened to the girl who once treasured you as her favorite toy.

But you're going to find out.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
Development System: Quest
TUID: v8cg4xwjxjwua20k

9th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Medium-length puzzler with light-horror atmosphere, November 17, 2019
You are a doll, waking up in a long-abandoned house, and must solve the mystery of how you got there and why you’re awake when your child is nowhere around. This game harkens back more to Night House than the Guttersnipe games, with a similar theme of exploring a scary darkened home at night. You’ve still got to adjust to the unique qualities of Quest, with its give-you-some-of-the-options-through-clicking-but-not-all play format, but this feels a little more intuitive than in previous entries by this author– most of the stuff that requires typing is ‘ask’ or ‘use x with y’ and it’s pretty obvious when you need to type those commands.

The puzzles require enough thought to be satisfying (researching and putting together spells is a big part of it, and it’s a blast) but aren’t that difficult – I finished the game in a single session, and only needed to check the walkthrough once, when I was on the wrong track with a solution and needed to make sure I wasn’t just missing the right phrasing. The atmosphere is deliciously creepy – this is always one of Bitter Karella’s strengths. If you like not-too-tough puzzles and a touch of horror, don’t miss this one.

Zombie dolls, October 5, 2019
You play as a doll who was once brought to life by a child's magic, but awakes now when the child is long gone.

You explore a dark two-story house filled with death, decay, and dark magic.

I loved the cast of characters, and found many of the puzzles satisfying. I think I had more fun with this game than I did with anything else in the comp so far.

Quest is just not as powerful as Inform or Tads or Dialog, though. Quest's worst feature is synonym handling. Synonyms apparently must be typed in for each verb combination.

For instance, if something is called ADJECTIVE NOUN, then one puzzle might be solvable by typing VERB1 NOUN, but another puzzle might only except VERB2 ADJECTIVE NOUN. And due to Quest's weaker engine, it won't tell you you're close or detect if you've almost typed the right thing.

Bitter Karella usually does much better than other Quest authors in this regard, but some slipped through this time. For instance, (Spoiler - click to show)TAKE CLAWS or GET CLAWS produced no text, incorrect text, or just baffling text at different points in the game.

Overall though, I love this game. Fun!

If you enjoyed Poppet...

People who like Poppet also gave high ratings to these games:

Countdown 1: The Body, by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Average member rating: (1 rating)
"In the runup to the release of [6 Days A Sacrifice], I wrote and realised a trilogy of brief text adventures to foreshadow the plot of the eventual game." - Yahtzee

Toby's Nose, by Chandler Groover
A murder most foul has been committed and Sherlock Holmes is on the case. You are his dog.

Kaged, by Ian Finley
""But my madness speaks: It will but skin and film the ulcerous place, Whilst rank corruption, mining all within, Infects unseen." Welcome to the Citadel of Justice. The Inquisitor is waiting." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

The following polls include votes for Poppet:

Best of Quest by Denk
There are more than 600 Quest games on IFDB. Surely there must be a lot of bad Quest games, but there are certainly good ones too. It would be interesting to know, which ones are worth playing.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 5 October 2019 at 10:55pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item