Story file
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

Just another day

by Simply Ryan

2010

First Publication Date: August 2, 2010
Development System: ADRIFT
TUID: v7ms9cucablj20qk

Poor Copy of a Brilliant Flash Game, August 4, 2010
And it indeed it did make a statement... when it was a flash game called Every Day the Same Dream by molleindustria. The events described in this "game" are a blatant copy of the aforementioned flash game. The scenery, the NPCs, the objects - everything is absolutely the same. Except that in the flash game, the player was actually able to interact with the environment. This textual version is painfully sparse and under-implemented. There are tons of bugs - the elevator doors not opening once the player is inside, for one - and poor writing.

I really appreciated the flash game by molleindustria when I played it and I makes me mad to see a copy of the original author's work put up under slightly different trappings. Of course, the author might have gotten permission to rework the game into an IF, but I very much doubt it. Besides, I believe a reworking of the game as an IF has already been done by Luis Gonzalez, who actually credited the idea's original author. I didn't have the patience (due to the many bugs) nor the incentive (since I know how the original game ends) to play through this. So, I might have missed some form of end credits, in which case I apologize. If the author of this game actually had permission to rewrite the flash game as an IF without adding any new elements to it, then I would very much like to see the original author credited in some form.

no story, no direction, and no instruction, August 30, 2010
"This is a game with no story, no direction, and no instruction. This is a game meant to make a statement in the world." I agree with the first sentence, and have no idea what the statement is supposed to be, unless it is the monotony of a job not liked. Nothing was examinable, and many other standard commands did not interact as expected. On the second day, I could not proceed east without talking to my boss, and talking to boss yielded the error command 'Use the format "ask [character] about [subject]"'. Even having access to the source code, I did not want to proceed any further.

To be fair the author did realize that this game was not original shortly after the start of the competition and withdrew.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Juhana on 4 August 2010 at 12:57pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item