Ravine

by Joanna Berry

You are a corporate investigator sent to get answers from a remote research station. The staff there are hiding a dark secret. But then again, so are you...

First Publication Date: October 7, 2018
Current Version: v1
IFID: 80068F7A-723B-4532-B253-8EB7BEDEFBBC
TUID: v6628m5iuvb0z3x5

Amazingly thrilling story, July 10, 2019
I'm not particular fond of CYOA-style "games". This one hooked me on though. The setting (a company special investigator arrives at a company-owned research site in remote, snow-covered Norway to find out about a missing team) is fairly fresh, the story and it's pacing are crisp and the writing is excellent - not too brief, not sprawling, but to the point in a way that lets you visualize scenery and action. The author gets something out of the limited "game" mechanics by locking the player from information through the choices she makes. I'm sure there's alternative endings and I have the feeling those are only determined by the last three or four choices, but that's just guesswork. For a gamebook this is an excellent piece of entertainment. If you're a kid, or you're easily scared by anything more scary than Sesame Street, be warned - the secret agent story gets a slightly lovecrafty twist during its course.

Delicious horror!, August 4, 2019
I really enjoyed this experience - without giving too much away, it employs some classic horror elements from the likes of John Carpenter or Lovecraft to great effect, while tempting the reader to make some dark choices. Well worth a read!

If you enjoyed Ravine...

People who like Ravine also gave high ratings to these games:

House, by Karona
A conversation about the trajectory of a relationship lies at the center of this one-room work.

Following Me, by Tia Orisney
Two women take a wrong turn in the woods and make a gruesome discovery. They seek help from a mysterious stranger and are dragged into a vicious trap that they will be lucky to survive. Intended for mature audiences.

Solarium, by Anya Johanna DeNiro
The year is 1954. One year after mutually assured destruction. And I am trying to find you, through memory and alchemy. Not many people know how the nuclear devastation really happened. But we do. We were part of Solarium.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Kwatsu on 7 July 2019 at 11:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item