Ravine

by Joanna Berry

You are a corporate investigator sent to get answers from a remote research station. The staff there are hiding a dark secret. But then again, so are you...

First Publication Date: October 7, 2018
Current Version: v1
IFID: 80068F7A-723B-4532-B253-8EB7BEDEFBBC
TUID: v6628m5iuvb0z3x5

Excellent short horror game with some cool text mechanics , September 12, 2020
by bradleyswissman (Virginia, US)
Ravine is a short (<1 hour) horror game where you play as a corporate investigator at a research station above the Arctic Circle. It has some very good horror elements that bring to mind (Spoiler - click to show) The Mountains of Madness, but for the 21st century . The conversations are written clearly, believable, and easy to understand. (Spoiler - click to show) I particularly enjoyed the use of the click-through technique that allowed me to explore different elements of a scene without progressing. I also really liked that I could explore different options' consequences without being able to go back. I thought the interactions you have with the main villain at the end are excellently written. My only criticism is that I did not know how much or little my choices were affecting the story, but it's such a small gripe that I feel this story deserves five stars for its conciseness, mechanics, and storyline.

Amazingly thrilling story, July 10, 2019
I'm not particular fond of CYOA-style "games". This one hooked me on though. The setting (a company special investigator arrives at a company-owned research site in remote, snow-covered Norway to find out about a missing team) is fairly fresh, the story and it's pacing are crisp and the writing is excellent - not too brief, not sprawling, but to the point in a way that lets you visualize scenery and action. The author gets something out of the limited "game" mechanics by locking the player from information through the choices she makes. I'm sure there's alternative endings and I have the feeling those are only determined by the last three or four choices, but that's just guesswork. For a gamebook this is an excellent piece of entertainment. If you're a kid, or you're easily scared by anything more scary than Sesame Street, be warned - the secret agent story gets a slightly lovecrafty twist during its course.

Delicious horror!, August 4, 2019
I really enjoyed this experience - without giving too much away, it employs some classic horror elements from the likes of John Carpenter or Lovecraft to great effect, while tempting the reader to make some dark choices. Well worth a read!

If you enjoyed Ravine...

People who like Ravine also gave high ratings to these games:

The Northnorth Passage., by Caleb Wilson (as Snowball Ice)
Oh no, the old family curse has flared up! This is a short story about limits to action.

Who Are You?, by TheWrittenSword
A short jaunt about transitions. Written as a very self-indulgent piece for my friends, and as practice with Twine. First completed work using Twine.

Hibernated 1 - This place is death, by Stefan Vogt
Have you ever dreamed about a journey far beyond the known regions of the universe? Close to Vega, Olivia Lund is on the trail of one of mankind's greatest secrets and a thousand-year-old mystery. After over 200 years in hypersleep, she...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Kwatsu on 7 July 2019 at 11:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item