Steam
for Windows, Mac, and Linux
App Store
for iPhone, iPad, and iPod
Google Play Store
for Android

180 Files: The Aegis Project

by Karelia Hall

Espionage
2020

Uncover a web of evil as an elite superspy! You might break a few rules—or a few hearts—but you won’t break cover. As Agent 180, a star secret agent, you've never found a problem you couldn't solve with guns, gadgets, or a devastating quip. But after a personal tragedy sends your life off course, your next mission will test you to your very limits.

180 Files: The Aegis Project is a 184,000 word interactive spy thriller by Karelia Hall, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

An ex-informant is dead—and you’re sent to find out why. As you go undercover at the sinister company he worked for, dangerous secrets begin to emerge, along with shadows from your own past. Can you infiltrate the company in time to stop a deadly plot? And with your career in the balance, will you follow orders to the bitter end—or be tempted into a deal with the devil?

• Play as male, female, or non-binary; as gay, straight, bisexual, demisexual or asexual.
• First place winner of the Choice of Games Contest for Interactive Novels
• What lurks in Agent 180’s past? Choose the background that led you here.
• Use tech knowledge, charm, strategy, brute force, or sheer nerve to achieve your goals.
• Choose from an assortment of gadgets to help you.
• Decide what's more important to you – the mission, or yourself.
• Participate in a cover-up to please your employers, or expose the truth to get justice.
• Try to build genuine relationships – or manipulate people for your own ends.
• Romance an intrepid reporter, a charming executive, or a brilliant scientist – or pique the interest of a dangerous enemy agent.

First Publication Date: July 9, 2020
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: v45bgnlgpbyesnb2

A very fun espionage game that won the Choicescript contest, July 29, 2020
Related reviews: about 2 hours
As I've been playing through Choice of Games stories, I've found ones that are touching, majestic, goofy, weird, and high-quality.

This one is just plain fun. It's a James Bond-type thriller, and it does interactivity right. I was able to really customize the kind of person I wanted to be, pursue the relationships I wanted to pursue, and have moments where I really felt torn between two goals but knew what I had to do.

The game revolves around investigation of a tech firm that has experienced recent layoffs and a suspicious employee death. There is a lot of worldbuilding, but in a mostly easy-to-understand way, like the enemy agency DIABLO which uses codenames based on devils.

I found this easy to play, engaging, and long enough that I felt satisfied. If Choicescript games were food, this would be meat and potatoes (if you're into that thing). Simple and especially, especially when done right.

Content-wise it's very similar to Bond films. There was one instance I found of strong profanity, some heavier violence towards the end (including alluded torture and some gore depending on your choices). My playthrough had heavy flirting but no explicit sexuality, but the game lets you customize this quite a bit so I'm not sure about other paths.

Would definitely recommend.

I received a review copy of this game.

If you enjoyed 180 Files: The Aegis Project...

People who like 180 Files: The Aegis Project also gave high ratings to these games:

Enigma, by Simon Deimel
Eyes can see, and a mind can think. Insanity is just one step away. You are in a room. That's where you are, and you know exactly what is going on. But the truth is hard to take. The game file includes hints and a walkthrough.

Sub Rosa, by Joey Jones, Melvin Rangasamy
A puzzle game about secrets in the Age of Lead. You've spent seventeen years preparing for an infiltration. Stealing the Confessor's secrets is only the beginning: it will all be for nothing if you leave a trace.

I-0, by Anonymous
Stranded on Interstate Zero after your car broke down, you are miles away from the last sign of civilization. It's twenty minutes to noon and the temperature is well over 120°F. It's beginning to look like you won't make it to your...

180 Files: The Aegis Project appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games that I couldn't put down by MathBrush
These are games that for some reason or over I just couldn't stop playing and thinking about. There are no specific reasons given. These aren't necessarily my favorite games; one reason they are pageturner is that the pacing is good and...

Spy games by MathBrush
Games involving espionage, whether military or industrial. I've tried to put a few especially good games first, but the rest are in no particular order. This list includes games of excellent quality as well as games of lower quality.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 29 July 2020 at 1:28am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item