Remedial Witchcraft

by dgtziea profile

Lina is a first year student studying magic. Lina isn't doing very well at her classes. Lina is apprenticing for the Witch of Howling Woods because no one else would take her.

Tonight, Lina has messed up (she contends some blame should go to her master for giving unclear instructions). Now Lina needs to figure out what all the magical items (A wavering wand? An everfire? A *gasp* cauldron?) in her master's house do and use them all to fix her mistake, before she gets found out!

(Remedial Witchcraft is a light, puzzle-oriented parser game.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 25139FC6-A926-4224-8B85-EE32BD36A377
TUID: ttfol49xbjbl673

14th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Fairly directed magical puzzler, January 1, 2020
In Remedial Witchcraft you play as an inexperienced practitioner of magic arts. Not an uncommon premise: Games from Infocom’s classic Enchanter way back in 1983 to both Charming and my own Junior Arithmancer from the previous IFComp have featured a similar PC. Remedial Witchcraft reminds me particularly of Charming, as in that game and this one you’re not just inexperienced, you’re also kind of bumbling.

The gameplay is quite directed. At the very beginning the witch you’re apprenticed to gives you a couple of tasks to perform. Then, after you complete those, you’re presented with another set of tasks to perform. And frequently in the midst of completing these tasks the game will make suggestions for what you should do next. All of this means that there’s very little stumbling around wondering what you’re supposed to be doing. It certainly eases the gameplay and reduces the frustration that often occurs in puzzle-heavy games, but for me it was a little too much hand-holding. Of course, I also like banging my head against puzzle-heavy games.

The writing style is short. Choppy. Frequently not full sentences. Very casual. Distinctive. It’s an interesting choice that fits the PC’s character.

One of the magical items you get to play with is particularly delightful: the (Spoiler - click to show)teleportation rock.

Overall, I think I would have preferred more of a challenge, but I enjoyed figuring out the puzzles that I did in Remedial Witchcraft.

Quick, witchy fun, October 23, 2020
Spent about an hour this evening on this pleasant, funny story with a delightful theme. The one hint I got was clever and didn't make me feel like I'd "cheated". Good mechanics without any tedium.

The atmosphere was light but contributed to the overall mood. (Do we get to learn more about witch's court---presumably a kind of night court---and why they hex people who lose lawsuits? No, of course not.)

Towards the end, I fought a bit with the parser. (Spoiler - click to show)I had to go the walkthrough to be sure I was really at the end, after spending five minutes to try different approaches.

Very charming, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
Remedial Witchcraft is a really lovely game with spells and wands and potions and a cat. As a puzzler, it is an easy one, yes, but the puzzles are great too, well conceived and perfectly implemented; they’re generally not obvious from the start, though always solvable through experimentation and a bit of pondering. The protagonist is the most charming character I’ve encountered so far in this year’s IFComp and I really hope I will meet her again in a sequel!

If you enjoyed Remedial Witchcraft...