Life in a Northern Town

by People + Places

An illegal solution to overwhelming debts leads to danger, deception, revenge and murder.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2018
TUID: tripjlpq996sqita

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2018

A sprawling multi-platform tale about crime and love in North Dakota, April 8, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This is a very large game/story, comprising 3 Twine stories, 1 inklewriter story, 1 Instagram album, and three wordpress blog entries.

Reading quickly, even skimming from time to time, it took around 3 hours to finish.

The story is compelling: an unemployed woman gets a business opportunity from her brother that's too good to be true.

It's gritty and dark. It's full of profanity, which I filtered on my computer. It's also completely believable.

I'm giving it 4 stars because the fifth star is for "would I play it again?" and while it was very compelling, I felt mildly traumatized by the time I was done.

If you enjoyed Life in a Northern Town...

People who like Life in a Northern Town also gave high ratings to these games:

The Shadow in the Cathedral, by Ian Finley and Jon Ingold
When the monks took me, aged six months, into their care, they named me Wren. Maybe because I was small, insignificant, and happy to eat any crumbs they threw my way. But these days I'm Wren, 2nd Assistant Clock Polisher; and that's a...

URA Winner!, by Carter Sande
Scoring well on the Undergraduate Readiness Assessment is the key to college acceptance. This interactive digital guide contains practice questions and instructional materials for each section of the Assessment, and it's the only online...

Recorded, by Nick Junius
Sometimes we lose the things most precious to us and must look for them in unlikely, or sometimes likely places. You have lost your voice and find yourself in a place you do not recognize with its own loss and lies.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 7 April 2018 at 8:48am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item