Play online

Electric word, "life"

by Lance Nathan

Slice of life
2020

It's 1999, and your roommate has talked you into hosting a Halloween party. It's pretty much going to be all his friends, but you've invited a few of your own who may or may not make it. Here's hoping for the best.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
IFID: 6A083116-C231-449B-B375-C83725270DB7
TUID: tqmf0hx3q8sqertq

Entrant - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Wonderfully written story about two friends, a Halloween party, and life, October 29, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: About 30 minutes
This is a fairly short, mostly linear, choice-based work. You play Perry, the quiet, somewhat nerdy, roommate of a party animal. He is throwing a Halloween party tonight at your apartment and you agreed to help, but you don't really want to be there. The night becomes much more bearable when some of your friends show up and you all take refuge on the porch, just talking and hanging out.

The author has what I think is a rare talent as a writer: to be able to convey the essence of a friendship primarily through dialogue. Reading this story made me think of Dante and Randall from "Clerks" or Parzival and Aech from "Ready Player One". I was drawn in to the camaraderie and it gave the story both warmth and impact. In the end I had goosebumps on my skin and tears in my eyes.

The story is primarily linear. You can wander around a bit at the beginning, before the story is pretty much put on rails for the second half. I do recommend reading everything, as there are some flashback scenes triggered amongst the chaos of party that give the second half added depth. Normally the lack of meaningful choices would have me lowering the rating, but this story really got to me in a special way so I had to give it four stars. I think it compares well with "Will Not Let Me Go" by Stephen Granade, even though it doesn't quite rise to that level.

Well worth your time.

Nostalgic slice of life Halloween story, October 21, 2020
by Enrique Henestroza Anguiano (Oakland, California)
Sporting a Prince-inspired title, Electric Word, “life” is a story with light interactivity about the long-ago memory of a mysterious friend who shows up to a house party.

This is an interesting take on a ghost story concept, mixed with a classic, low-key Twine story. The game does a good job of setting a scene for the party with a chill, funny, and nostalgic vibe that is carried through nicely.

The main downside for me is that the piece feels more like a hangout than a fleshed out narrative. There are some nice descriptions for each friend, but I didn't get a sense of who the characters were in a deeper way. For the crucial relationship between the two main characters, there's very interesting subtext, but things stay mostly on the surface as well; though perhaps given the poignant, regret-tinged ending, this is partially the point.

Nice, October 4, 2020
It's not a game, just a story you click through. But the story is nice. Well, it's pretty trivial until the one interesting twist, but that'll grab you, promise. Makes me a bit sad it's not a game.

If you enjoyed Electric word, "life"...