tookie.z5

Tookie's Song

by Jessica Knoch

Alien Visitation
2002

Cat aliens from the planet Purrsimmon have stolen your pet dog, Tookie! Rescue him by solving all the various light-hearted puzzles they've set up for you!

Baf's Guide ID: 1934
IFID: ZCODE-1-020927-FADD
TUID: thq10p0o23bngmp0

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best NPCs - 2002 XYZZY Awards

7th Place - 8th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2002)

[T]his game has plenty of charming and wonderful assets of its own to recommend it. First of all, and still my favorite, are the altered library messages. I hereby nominate the following for Comp02's most delightful response to X ME: "You are, and I say this in all honesty, as good-looking as you have ever been."... Unfortunately, I can't praise the coding uniformly, because I encountered a number of problems during my time with the game... Happily, the author seems quite dedicated to collecting bug reports, so I feel fairly confident that there will be post-comp releases that take care of these problems. Once those bugfixes are complete, I would recommend TOOKiE'S SONG without hesitation.

Quirky and Fun, July 31, 2009
Tookie's Song is a lighthearted and enjoyable piece of work. It is mainly a puzzle piece; there isn't much at all in the way of story development except the beginning premise (you must rescue your dog that was kidnapped by cat-like aliens) and the endgame. While I normally don't like games like this, the funny writing, amusing characterization of the NPCs and interesting world kept me with this one.
The puzzles are of varying difficulty, some quite easy and others rather difficult IMO (but then again, puzzles are not my strong suite). If you do have trouble, there is a well-done set of hints for each puzzle that progresses from gentle nudges to explicit solutions.
One of my favorite things about the game was the quirky modifications of Inform's standard messages. Several had me laughing out loud. However, a couple of these responses were a mixed bag; while they were funny, they also lessened the feeling of immersion in the game world (for example, (Spoiler - click to show) asking one of the aliens about the game responds with something like "Yup, this world was created just for you.").
I was slightly disappointed with the ending. (Spoiler - click to show)After spending so much time trying to rescue my pet and worrying about his safety, I am essentially double-crossed by said pet.
On the whole, Tookie's Song is excellent if you're looking for an amusing diversion and interesting puzzles, but probably not what you want if you're looking for an intensive story or "literary" work.

A fun and silly 4-area puzzlefest with cat aliens and a lost dog, February 3, 2016
This game is just a silly puzzle adventure with four separate areas, each with their own solution, which sometimes combine.

The puzzles are fun. As discussed on IFwiki, the first puzzle (which was too hard for me, but cool) is taken from a D&D module. There is also a classic math puzzle, and a riddle taken from The Hobbit.

There are also some other clever features. I enjoyed the bowling game, where you bowl 20 times (it can get tedious, but it's also fun). The descriptions were beautiful. Some of the capabilities of the game and its NPCs weren't made clear, but if you ask everyone about each other, it should help.

There are three endings, depending on how many optional quests you did.

Fun for puzzle fans.

An ambiguous opinion, January 21, 2009
by Andromache (Hawaii)
This game turns humans into lab rats, which doesn't really sit well with me, which is why I gave it an average rating. Also, there's a minor bug that makes the game somewhat choppy to play during that section, but it's quite cleaned up for a first release. Puzzles are super easy and the hint system was nicely implemented, broken up into bite-sized pieces so as not to spoil the game outright. The game is entertaining, if a bit condescending. Worth playing at least once, but the cuteness doesn't really mesh with something as serious as respecting the dignity of experimentees.

If you enjoyed Tookie's Song...