Commercial game not available for download.
Salvaged Copy
The source files and a precompiled ZMachine storyfile of this adventure were recovered from a salvaged "Infocom hard drive", and made publicly available on GitHub in an effort to preserve them.

Suspect

by Dave Lebling

Mystery
1984

You're guilty until proven innocent.

You have walked into a hotbed of deceit and trickery. And now they're accusing you of something you couldn't have done. But they have proof that you did it. "You're a killer," they say. And until you can prove them wrong, you're guilty as charged - murder.

Among society's upper crust, murder is the kind of nastiness that must be cleared up quickly. So isn't it convenient that you, a struggling journalist looking for a good time and a good story, end up the scapegoat? The evidence is stacked against you, and you're being forced to prove your own innocence. And someone else's guilt. But no one wants to help you. You're an outsider. And only an outsider could be so rude as to accept an invitation to the social event of the season. Then spoil it all.

Difficulty: Advanced

License: Commercial
Development System: ZIL
IFID: ZCODE-14-841005
TUID: tdbss1ekrp4ua7h4

The puzzles are generally well done, but it suffers from a lack of vividness, and a lack of feeling that you're really there. [...] All in all though, Suspect remains a very solid effort, and well worth a play through.

This type of Infocom can be really frustrating and I know a number of players who get bored with the gameplay. The reason is that it is tempting to ask characters about others and to try to follow suspects about and this approach gets nowhere. If you follow Veronica your path is blocked until the murder has taken place, so you need a different strategy. [...] This is an old style Infocom which is text-only with no hint facility, but I wish they still made them this way.

A costume-party murder mystery with timed events, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: Infocom
Suspect is an Infocom mystery game. It resembles Deadline more than Witness or Ballyhoo. You are at a party with a large crowd of people, and you are set up for the murder of the hostess.

This game features a large number of NPCs with independent actions. You have to figure out who committed the murder, and we, and who helped them.

Overall, it seemed difficult, but I just used a walkthrough after playing around a bit. I don't enjoy replaying long games over and over, (except for Adventure and Zork I, where you really just need to optimize your lantern use). The story was fun, and I enjoyed the feelies.

The game does give you clues on the actions you need to perform, usually by seeing something happen and saying to yourself "Oh! If I had done such and such EARLIER, I would have been fine!"

If you enjoyed Suspect...