Play online

Captain Graybeard's Plunder

by Julian Mortimer Smith

2020

A retired pirate captain cobbles together a ship and crew from the pages of classic works of literature. His goal: revenge!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
IFID: 68C09425-1B1D-4AB2-93B8-59537A419F20
TUID: t1gspoyu5rq2ofsw

Entrant - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Short game that beautifully illustrates the magic of fiction, October 2, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: About 15 minutes
Honestly, at first I wasn't into this piece (which was partly due to playing it on a phone rather than a computer and having the status sidebar cut off). It didn't seem particularly deep or all that interactive. But once I understood how it worked, the mechanics that would influence the rest of the game, I really got into it.

I don't want to spoil anything at all since the game is so short, I would just recommend giving it a whirl. I will just say that I thought it does a great job capturing the magic that great fiction can have on the imagination, and by extension on mood and mental health as well. The author also did a nice job of making use of the hyperlink controls to illustrate the magic at work, both with changing text and fonts.

Well worth the time for any lover of fiction!

This game is part of IFComp 2020, so if you are reading this in October or November of 2020 head over to ifcomp.org and sign up to be a judge. You can play this and other wonderful games and vote on which authors should win cash prizes!

Butterfly in the sky, I can fly twice as high, October 23, 2020
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
A short game that interweaves the magic of literature with a pirate's need to live one more glorious battle. Several historical works are referenced, such as Moby Dick and Peter Pan and the way they are weaved into the story is charming. If you're a fan of pirate fiction then this will likely be more enjoyable, though the concept is meant for everyone.

My only significant criticism is that some of the font choices (especially the ones in cursive) are really hard to read for my tired eyes, which significantly hurt my enjoyment.

I'm glad this wasn't a puzzle, as it would have not fit with the theme for poor Captain Graybeard.

The real treasure was in the books we read along the way!, October 3, 2020
A charming mini game.

If you enjoyed Captain Graybeard's Plunder...