Story file

The Day of the Queen

by Marius Müller profile

Episode 8 of The Alex and Paul series
Humor

"I thought you were done with this!" yells Paul and hits the gas.

"You mean running away from Sharkmen?"

"Getting us in trouble!" he grumbles and handbrakes the golf cart around a corner.

First Publication Date: January 4, 2015
IFID: 41220624-0D54-44F0-B386-D15ECFF74053
TUID: sj5tq6paj6eogluj

Entrant - The 8th Annual New Year's Interactive Fiction Event

A entertaining and slightly better-than-average ‘Alex and Paul’ game, July 17, 2018
by Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway)
Sharkmen, spirit possession, romance and golf carts – it’s time for a new Alex and Paul game. The Queen of Hurts and Maladies is trying to take over the world, and it’s up to you (and your husband) to stop her. But first, you have to get out of the airplane bathroom!

This is a longish game (compared with the earlier games in the series), with plenty of puzzles. Luckily, they’re simplified by being mostly isolated in separate scenes, so there’s always a limited number of objects to interact with. And for once, I managed so solve all of them on my own, except for some fiddly bits in the end sequence. The difficulty is easy-to-moderate, but it’s easy to overlook clues, or to fail to provide the exact syntax that the game expects.

The Day of the Queen is also a fun game – especially if you have played the earlier games in the series. Several characters from the earlier games make an entertaining reappearance. Much humour is also provided by the absurd situations encountered, and by comments from the narrator.

As usual, there are plenty of spelling and grammar mistakes, various implementation issues and a lack of synonyms. And the final action sequence could have been better implemented. I couldn’t find any serious bugs, though. All in all, an entertaining, slightly better-than-average Alex and Paul game, with mostly reasonable puzzles.

The Day of the Queen on IFDB

The Day of the Queen appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for July 2018 by David Welbourn
On Friday, July 6, 2018, I published several new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Many of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Karl Ove Hufthammer on 17 July 2018 at 8:07am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item